A little thread to help people ID LSOH and Rainbow eclipse

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I thought I’d make a thread showing them since now I got both. These get misidentified all the time and people can’t tell which. Really in person they are easy to tell apart. LSOH have lighter green with smaller rings and skinnier and longer tentacles. Rainbow eclipse have a darker green and more detail with overall polyp size being slightly larger.
First pic: rainbow eclipse
Second pic: LSOH
AB6E70C4-49E6-4822-8E8C-0086B5E3E60A.jpeg
DC502DC6-0E93-452C-8A74-CE967A76C696.jpeg

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I’d make a thread showing them since now I got both. These get misidentified all the time and people can’t tell which. Really in person they are easy to tell apart. LSOH have lighter green with smaller rings and skinnier and longer tentacles. Rainbow eclipse have a darker green and more detail with overall polyp size being slightly larger.
First pic: rainbow eclipse
Second pic: LSOH
AB6E70C4-49E6-4822-8E8C-0086B5E3E60A.jpeg
DC502DC6-0E93-452C-8A74-CE967A76C696.jpeg

Ill take one of each please! Thanks! Just for identification purposes of course...

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Zoas.
I like the first one. And what is LSOH.
I rarely do zoas cuz of the price being all over the place. Some nicer looking zoas are 20 buck then you have bland looking ones going for 500 bucks.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice. Zoas.
I rarely do zoas cuz of the price being all over the place. Some nicer looking zoas are 20 buck then you have bland looking ones going for 500 bucks.
LSOH- Little Shop Of Horror

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s mostly popularity. Back in the day utter chaos zoas typically sold for $350-400 pp. now you can pick them up for around $10 pp or less because most collectors have them. Purple monsters used to sell for $100 pp but now that a lot of people have them and realize that they’re weeds, you can find them for $5pp. LSOH, RE, and Jf Bloodshots are stil a bit elevated ($70pp-$500pp) because not too many people have them. I’ve also heard that bloodshots are pretty temperamental (hard to grow). Some zoas like speckled kraks and mauls won’t come down much because of their known tendency to melt. It’s almost like an economy. When the surplus’s goes up, prices go down. Inventory diminishes and prices go up. Harder to find, prices go up. Common as dirt, prices go down. :)
Nice. Zoas.

Davis Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

Would you consider both of these Rainbow Eclipse or LSOH? Both are being sold as LSOH, but based on some things they appear to have more defined rings which would be Rainbow Eclipse, no?

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

Would you consider both of these Rainbow Eclipse or LSOH? Both are being sold as LSOH, but based on some things they appear to have more defined rings which would be Rainbow Eclipse, no?
I made a post a while back showing my LSOH and Rainbow Eclipse side by side and how to spot the differences

Davis Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a post a while back showing my LSOH and Rainbow Eclipse side by side and how to spot the differences
Right, and your insights are what have drawn my attention to the differences between the two zoas, and now I am always on the lookout. Just wanted confirmation that I am now able to ID properly , because I would think both the ones I posted photos of have been mislabeled as LSOH.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right, and your insights are what have drawn my attention to the differences between the two zoas, and now I am always on the lookout. Just wanted confirmation that I am now able to ID properly , because I would think both the ones I posted photos of have been mislabeled as LSOH.
Absolutely

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
here in LA they are about the same price pp but the GB rainbow is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy brighter

i have another set of LSOH from a diff vendor...and that one is not as bright as the rainbow either

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
here in LA they are about the same price pp but the GB rainbow is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy brighter

i have another set of LSOH from a diff vendor...and that one is not as bright as the rainbow either
If I had to pick one I’d go with rainbow eclipse over LSOH.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back