A little winter shipping discussion.

ScottyMcReefer

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 13, 2010
Messages
729
Reaction score
31
Location
Chicago
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cold is here and seems to be settled in the Midwest...sucks. I'd like to hear some thoughts on shipping during the winter months. I typically ship in insulated boxes along with 2 uniheat packs and some newspaper fluffed to support the bagged coral. I tend to wait for temperatures that won't reach below freezing but have had success when temps reach below. What is your take on shipping temperature? And what is your most trusted carrier? I've had nothing but PROBLEMS with fedex lately and will use usps over them any day, or I go to ups. Lets hear it folks!
 
I personally don't think it is FedEx vs. Ups as much as it is driver vs. driver. You have good and bad drivers for both companies. I wouldn't ship (or order) any livestock if it is going to be below freezing....which it seems like it is everyday this winter in Ohio :-(
 
Good discussion topic!
 
Your packing method seems spot on to me, it's all about the insulated boxes with newspaper, uniheat packs, and fedex priority over night. I haven't had a issue with 23° weather at the destination over night. I think it depends on box size and how close the heat pack are to the corals.
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new