OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So drilling thru the foundation didn't go as well as expected or as I had hoped for yesterday. I only got one hole completely drilled and then another one partially. The drill I was using was old and was losing power.

My fiberglass tanks arrived tonight......

I had added additional support under the tank in the crawl space a couple of months ago and never posted a picture of that....

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along on this first rate build. LOVE the tank!

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday morning update....

I made a lot of progress this week. Getting thru the cinder block was a lot harder than I thought it would since it was filled with cement. After trying to do it with a hammer drill, mason bits and a chisel...I decided to call a tool rental place and this is what they suggested.....

A 25 lb Bosch chipping hammer

It took me about 3 hours to get to this point with a regular hammer drill

And it only took me 10 minutes with the Bosch to do this.....

What an amazing tool that was and worth the $55 for the rental fee!

I was able to run the pvc lines under the house....all 150ft of it.

I then moved on to plumbing both of my closed loops. I need to make some adjustments to one of them. I used a piece of flex on the outlet that leads to the ball valve and the weight was too much so its leaning now and looks messy.

Finally I drilled the holes in the floor and have a friend coming over today to help me make the connections.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along on this i have a 200 peninsula i want to build thinking bout closed loop sys for it

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progress man, when all else fails get a bigger hammer drill, haha.

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along on this i have a 200 peninsula i want to build thinking bout closed loop sys for it

I should have the tank filled by the end of the week (hopefully) and the closed loops will be running. Im hoping they work out as I have planned.

Very nice build. Can't wait to see the final product!!
Thank you!

When do you plan on having fish in? What kind of reef do you want?
I dont have a set time frame on when fish will go in the tank. All depends on how long it takes to cycle and Im not in a rush for anything. I will be picking up about 350lbs of live rock from reefer in NC that is breaking his system in two weeks.

Nice progress man, when all else fails get a bigger hammer drill, haha.

Best $55 I ever spent for this hobby!!!

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And So It Begins.....

The long wait to fill up! I started filling the tank around 5pm yesterday and at 8 am this morning this where we are at.....

Very happy to say that there are no drips coming from any of the 10 bulkheads or closed loop plumbing so far! I will power up the pumps and flowwolf later on today when I get home from work. I still have a lot of plumbing to do in the fish room and then on to the electronics!

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this quickly turned into "hurry up and drain the tank!" :( once the tank got about 2/3 full one of the 2" cl bulkheads started to drip. I tried to tighten it but that didn't help. The longer I tried to fix it the worse the drip got and then became a steady stream. So 20 mins later the tank was empty again! I'll try refilling again on wed. I ordered a pond liner that I am going to put in the stand.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this quickly turned into "hurry up and drain the tank!" :( once the tank got about 2/3 full one of the 2" cl bulkheads started to drip. I tried to tighten it but that didn't help. The longer I tried to fix it the worse the drip got and then became a steady stream. So 20 mins later the tank was empty again! I'll try refilling again on wed. I ordered a pond liner that I am going to put in the stand.

Ugh, sorry to hear man. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! More Lowcountry reefers!! Nice setup! Following along! Hope to trade with you in future!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back