A NC reefing group on R2R!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trip to Fintastic today was a home run. Picked up a 5"-6" Tridacna maxima, and grabbed up a frag of WD. I had missed the WD when they had their anniversary sale a couple of weeks ago. I had been on a waiting list and apparently these guys went really fast. May not have had enough pieces to get to me on the list. I asked if they had any available, they checked their mother colony and decided they could get me a piece. Rather nice piece I might add.
Now for Fish Room Cary, wow......made my experience at the Raleigh store look good. Straight in the door the main show tank was overgrown with GHA, cyano all over the sand bed. Animals looked like the were just hanging on. Walked down the row of coral tanks down the center of the store....if they were giving the stuff away I wouldn't take it. Very little stock and what was there was in an early state or advanced state of dying. The one person who looked like the worked was towards the back, glanced up but never acknowledged we were even there. Not that that was a problem, didn't take about 2-3 minutes to see what I needed to see. Sad experience.

I honestly hate to read that about the Cary location. I don't go often at all but have not seen what you described. That saddens me that it would be like that.

Yeah, Fintastic is most excellent.

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, difficult decision considering those two and the larger one for sure.

I hope TFR happened to be low on stock and not a common occurrence. Looking forward to visiting them again next time were in the area

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread. Been in the hobby for several years. Wife and I just relocated from Durham to Hillsborough. Finishing setting up a new 300g system - still in the works.

df86f06caa4bd276067208a9c1dc6937.jpg

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread myself, been in Charlotte for about 12 years and Nemo’s Reef is my go to store. Great ownership, pleasant and knowledgeable.... they’re great.

Been reefing for about 10 years and still learning. It’s been what I think is a natural progression of nano with LPS... upgrade to a more mixed reef, and now pretty much focused on SPS.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread. Been in the hobby for several years. Wife and I just relocated from Durham to Hillsborough. Finishing setting up a new 300g system - still in the works.
Hey Eder, you're right around the corner. Good to have fellow reefers in the neighborhood. Nice start you have there, 300g plus what looks to be some nice equipment. Those Kessil hybrid lights? You need to do a build thread. Be nice to see how it all pregresses.
You planning to attend ReefSMART May, 11th?

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread myself, been in Charlotte for about 12 years and Nemo’s Reef is my go to store. Great ownership, pleasant and knowledgeable.... they’re great.

Been reefing for about 10 years and still learning. It’s been what I think is a natural progression of nano with LPS... upgrade to a more mixed reef, and now pretty much focused on SPS.
I was born in Charlotte but that's about all I can say about the city. We moved when I was 3, so no memory. I've heard some whisperings about Nemos even this far north, sounds like a good lfs.
Curious if you might be doing ReefSMART May, 11th too? Looks like this year is going to be a real step up from years past. Being held at the Raleigh Convention Center this year. Really nice list of vendors.

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Eder, you're right around the corner. Good to have fellow reefers in the neighborhood. Nice start you have there, 300g plus what looks to be some nice equipment. Those Kessil hybrid lights? You need to do a build thread. Be nice to see how it all pregresses.
You planning to attend ReefSMART May, 11th?

I appreciate it! Once it’s all setup and running and we get our corals and such back we can maybe do some trading and such.

We might. May is super busy for me. And given that this tank may just be cycling then who knows if it’ll be worth it unfortunately. Last year was great.

It’s a 265g with a 55g sump. We have two 36” aquatic life fixtures with four kessil 360we.

Had two custom overflows made and running four Mp40s and a vertex calcium reactor.

Had a 150 prior to this so it’s a solid upgrade.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to bother you guys but, going to honeymoon in asheville in two weeks.

Any good LFS or aquarium type attractions. I saw the brochures but would like local opinions.

Thanks!

Not much in the line of aquarium but we got the best waterfalls and hiking around. You can go into a store and get a waterfall book and it will have all the trails where to go. If you are taking it easy check out the winery at the biltmore house and gardens there. Or go to Mellow Mushroom downtown and get you a pie and sit outside and people watch...we got some weirdos out here. If you want coral contact seller Jarrod on here and get something from him. He lives right outta Asheville and has some awesome corals and slap your mama pricing!! buttkissers and super rare zoa and crazy LPS and SPS. Either way congrats and enjoy

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much in the line of aquarium but we got the best waterfalls and hiking around. You can go into a store and get a waterfall book and it will have all the trails where to go. If you are taking it easy check out the winery at the biltmore house and gardens there. Or go to Mellow Mushroom downtown and get you a pie and sit outside and people watch...we got some weirdos out here. If you want coral contact seller Jarrod on here and get something from him. He lives right outta Asheville and has some awesome corals and slap your mama pricing!! buttkissers and super rare zoa and crazy LPS and SPS. Either way congrats and enjoy
Thanks!

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to bother you guys but, going to honeymoon in asheville in two weeks.

Any good LFS or aquarium type attractions. I saw the brochures but would like local opinions.

Thanks!
I live in Asheville and the only good lfs is high tide aquarium on Hendersonville Rd. His stock varies but he usually has a nice selection.

Last edited:

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attended ReefSmart yesterday, was wondering if anyone else did. Made a pretty nice haul.
JF Homewrecker 1 1/4"+ frag w/6 long tips.
JF Jolt 1" frag w/6 growth tips.
WD 3/4" frag w/5 growth tips.
Tyree Pink Lemonade 1" frag w/3 growth tips.
BC Poison Envy 1" frag w/3 growth tips.
BC Miyagi Tort 2 1/2" mini colony-6 branches, 2 dozen or more tips.
I'll post some pics soon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back