A New T5 Hybrid On the Block?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just seen a new fixture on your site. I have not heard much about it so I thought I would ask.
Upgrading to a new system and a new fixture soon.
Thanks
Giesemann
STELLAR T5 4X xxWatt HYBRID RETROFIT LIGHT FIXTURE
212100-giesemann-aquaristic-stellart5-48in-an.jpg

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Functionally speaking, it isn't all that dissimilar to the AquaticLife version, but does have some advantages. The highlights being power cords that exit the same side, fixed standoffs, overall sleeker look, and an available tank mounting solution. The biggest advantage for me would absolutely be the fixed T5 standoffs making bulb installation and removal much easier. As someone who has seen both fixtures in person, I can say that the Stellar has a more robust feel.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about Kessil mounting, Agreed it is a nice looking fixture. Please ask the boss to do a short review.

Jamezanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Looks similar on aquatic t5. The power cord on aquatic t5 can customized and put it on the same exit. Styles and looks like different but you will use the same bulb. LOL. newer stuff with higher price for sure.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of the aquatic life fixture is the track groove on the front and back faces making mounting lights like reefbrites seamless.
I have a AL fixture and am more than pleased with it. Yes it is a modular style fixture but I have no need to mount any thing on the face, For my household/wife its all about aesthetics. If ATI built one I would jump all over it.
I am simply Shopping and would like to know more about it. Ballast, sockets, mounting and LED brackets. BTW Im not sure these will support the Kessil 360's that I am running.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AL fixture and am more than pleased with it. Yes it is a modular style fixture but I have no need to mount any thing on the face, For my household/wife its all about aesthetics. If ATI built one I would jump all over it.
I am simply Shopping and would like to know more about it. Ballast, sockets, mounting and LED brackets. BTW Im not sure these will support the Kessil 360's that I am running.
The Stellars work quite well with the A360X. The Kessils sit pretty flush with the T5 fixtures. The LED units actually rest on the brackets which have a double sided tape. I chose not to use the double sided tape and use both brackets with black zip ties at the end to pull the brackets together. Holding the Kessils in place. A zip tie on the Kessil power cord ensures the fixture doesn't fall into the tank.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Stellars work quite well with the A360X. The Kessils sit pretty flush with the T5 fixtures. The LED units actually rest on the brackets which have a double sided tape. I chose not to use the double sided tape and use both brackets with black zip ties at the end to pull the brackets together. Holding the Kessils in place. A zip tie on the Kessil power cord ensures the fixture doesn't fall into the tank.
I was afraid of that. I was hoping for a nest like I have on the AL. I immediately thought of Capacitor mounting rings or if I could use the AL brackets. Im too anal to just let it sit;Wideyed
images

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid of that. I was hoping for a nest like I have on the AL. I immediately thought of Capacitor mounting rings or if I could use the AL brackets. Im too anal to just let it sit;Wideyed
images
I'm sure there are options that could work. My only issue with using a bracket where the Kessil is mounted at the back would move the Kessil closer to the water and would not be flush with the Stellar. I'll try to get some pics. Even though my unit is not hanging at the moment.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these fixtures have the slits at the ends to allow sliding the acrylic out without disabling the whole thing? Also is there two different bracket sizes or just one. I know the longer one is supposed to have heat vents but the shorter one doesnt? Really interested in trying this out and replacing my ATI. Miss that shimmer effect.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these fixtures have the slits at the ends to allow sliding the acrylic out without disabling the whole thing? Also is there two different bracket sizes or just one. I know the longer one is supposed to have heat vents but the shorter one doesnt? Really interested in trying this out and replacing my ATI. Miss that shimmer effect.
The end bracket currently on the US models do not have the slits and bulb shields. The units only come with the larger end bracket with the vented slits. Supposedly Coral Vue is working on the ones with the slits along with the bulb shields. The smaller end bracket comes on the European versions and in the US needs to be purchased. Last I heard the smaller end bracket is being revised with the slits and vents.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@siggy here is the Stellar with A360x. They won’t budge with the zipties in place. Still can slide them back and forth. The brackets won’t come apart. The A360x sits completely flush on the bottom side. Roughly 1/4” of the Kessil housing and the dials are all you see from the top of the Giesemann Stellar.

4E2CA261-6714-44DF-A3B1-4F93C7168B87.jpeg

BA4F8C1C-852A-484A-9F38-08D321B86F53.jpeg

A4B00B2E-E6C2-4954-9535-410399FD7D09.jpeg

Last edited:

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The end bracket currently on the US models do not have the slits and bulb shields. The units only come with the larger end bracket with the vented slits. Supposedly Coral Vue is working on the ones with the slits along with the bulb shields.

Isn't this a pretty big deal? Does anyone know when they'll have this fixed? What does the bulb shield do? The coralvue website says it increases PAR and dissipates heat. I'd like to buy one of these but not if it's not ready yet.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coralvue website says it increases PAR and dissipates heat.
Typical PR spin on the cheap version with no salt shield. Its surprisingly quiet regarding this fixture. Ill wait for the ATI ;)

Last edited:

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of a contradiction. By saying it "increases PAR and heat dissipation", they're not downplaying it's importance but rather the opposite. That's telling me "don't buy this it's missing something important".

What exactly is the purpose of that shield?

ATI is releasing a hybrid like this? Problem is none of their fixtures are very attractive.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of a contradiction. By saying it "increases PAR and heat dissipation", they're not downplaying it's importance but rather the opposite. That's telling me "don't buy this it's missing something important".

What exactly is the purpose of that shield?

ATI is releasing a hybrid like this? Problem is none of their fixtures are very attractive.
The purpose of the shield is to protect the bulbs and reflector from salt spray/splash. ATI has them on their current fixtures but have built in fans also. The Stellar has no cooling so I take it they have had issues with the European versions getting too hot. Thus why the US version doesn't come with them. As for a PAR increase that sounds fishy to me.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaaah. Removing the shield supposedly "increases PAR and heat dissipation". I completely read that wrong, thanks.

If this thing is mounted 8-10" off the water I can't imagine salt sprays up that high. It doesn't affect my radions.

So my only issues are how high do the mounting brackets put the light over the rim of the tank (this isn't listed anywhere, crazy) and does it come with the 20" side brackets. The Coralvue site says "tanks up to 24 inches" which tells my it has multiple size brackets, but that could also be misleading.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaaah. Removing the shield supposedly "increases PAR and heat dissipation". I completely read that wrong, thanks.

If this thing is mounted 8'-10" off the water I can't imagine salt sprays up that high. It doesn't affect my radions.

So my only issues are how high do the mounting brackets put the light over the rim of the tank (this isn't listed anywhere, crazy) and does it come with the 20" side brackets. The Coralvue site says "tanks up to 24 inches" which tells my it has multiple size brackets, but that could also be misleading.
The only bracket the US version comes with is the 24" vented bracket. The shorter bracket you have to purchase. The first batch didn't have any vents so they supposedly are redesigning them with the vents. As for salt spray or splash my concern is any fish that jump/splash. I know my wrasses, angels and tangs do it all the time. The screen/lids over the tanks help a bit but even on my tanks with Radions I have to clean the diffusers weekly. I also have high flow in my tanks using the VCA RFG nozzles which often suck in air allowing for salt spray.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back