A "Newbie" And His Anemones

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the title of this thread is quite fitting, for a couple of reasons. I am not exactly a "newbie" to keeping reef tanks, but I typically feel like one. I am constantly making mistakes, learning as I go, and often "chasing my own tail." Further, I feel like a "newbie," as I am just as enthralled with the hobby as I was when I started my first reef tank. I can still sit for hours just staring at my tank, amazed that such a beautiful system exists in my own home. I consider the critters in this tank my "babies."

I frequent R2R almost nightly. I don't post a lot (if at all, really). As I feel like a "newbie" most of the time, I typically just read whatever I can in an effort to "learn how to do this right." I do appreciate all of the information everyone posts. I continue to learn a great deal from you all. To thank you, I figured I would show you the fruits of your labor. Most importantly, my "babies" thank you. They would not be the same without you.

Fortunately, this is not a photography forum. Otherwise, I would be banned for the horrible photographs I am about to post (if I can figure out how to post a photograph, at all). I do hope you enjoy.

IMG_1135.JPG

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@macon77 It's awesome, but I am biased. I love anemones as well! A question for you. If you were going to set up the anemone tank again, would you go bare bottom? I am about to set up a 20g Nuvo with my breeding clown pair and their anemone rock (and its inhabitants). I'm really torn about sand or bare bottom.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the title of this thread is quite fitting, for a couple of reasons. I am not exactly a "newbie" to keeping reef tanks, but I typically feel like one. I am constantly making mistakes, learning as I go, and often "chasing my own tail." Further, I feel like a "newbie," as I am just as enthralled with the hobby as I was when I started my first reef tank. I can still sit for hours just staring at my tank, amazed that such a beautiful system exists in my own home. I consider the critters in this tank my "babies."

I frequent R2R almost nightly. I don't post a lot (if at all, really). As I feel like a "newbie" most of the time, I typically just read whatever I can in an effort to "learn how to do this right." I do appreciate all of the information everyone posts. I continue to learn a great deal from you all. To thank you, I figured I would show you the fruits of your labor. Most importantly, my "babies" thank you. They would not be the same without you.

Fortunately, this is not a photography forum. Otherwise, I would be banned for the horrible photographs I am about to post (if I can figure out how to post a photograph, at all). I do hope you enjoy.

IMG_1135.JPG

Looks great to me!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@macon77 It's awesome, but I am biased. I love anemones as well! A question for you. If you were going to set up the anemone tank again, would you go bare bottom? I am about to set up a 20g Nuvo with my breeding clown pair and their anemone rock (and its inhabitants). I'm really torn about sand or bare bottom.

If it was BTAs or Ritteri, I personally would go bare bottom. LTA on the other hand need sand to bury their foot. Carpets and Sebae are hit or miss in my opinion.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are a couple of interesting thoughts, here. NY_Caveman brings up some valid concerns about the requirements of different types of anemones. I can't offer much advice there, as all I keep are bubble-tips (and I don't know a whole lot about them, even).

One concern I have is the size of the tank you are setting up. Honestly, I almost can't keep up with the growth and multiplication rates of the anemones that I have. I have recently been trying to get rid of quite a few of mine, for that reason. Further, I once had what I considered the ugliest bubble-tip anemone known to man. It was also quite large (at least 1.5 feet). I could see trying to keep such critters in a 20 gallon tank being a concern.

Personally, I would never go bare bottom. The look is just not appealing to me. Yes, it is a pain to clean the sand with a turkey baster twice each week. But, I would not have it any other way. I just like sand.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back