OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's a gorgeous view. How big is your tank
Everyone should have one of these!!! I stare at it for at least an hour every single day (not to mention the "work on the tank" time). I don't know why I never get tired of it, but I don't.

With that said, I really do miss having a "reef tank." My wife also constantly begs me to start a "reef tank." I just don't have the time to take care of two such demanding tanks. Someday, perhaps.

This tank is 75 gallons. It does seem a bit too small.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone should have one of these!!! I stare at it for at least an hour every single day (not to mention the "work on the tank" time). I don't know why I never get tired of it, but I don't.

With that said, I really do miss having a "reef tank." My wife also constantly begs me to start a "reef tank." I just don't have the time to take care of two such demanding tanks. Someday, perhaps.

This tank is 75 gallons. It does seem a bit too small.
I'm planning on starting a 55 like this, but sounds like I'll be upgrading before long haha. I think what you have is much cooler than a reef ;)

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on starting a 55 like this, but sounds like I'll be upgrading before long haha. I think what you have is much cooler than a reef ;)
A 55 gallon might not be a bad choice. I might prefer the depth of a 40 breeder, if I were doing a smaller tank.

In the ideal world, I would have gone with a standard 120 gallon. As this tank has STARTED to mature, the anemones are splitting less frequently, and are becoming LARGER on the average. That extra six inches would be very nice, right about now.

This tank has certainly been entertaining. I would not trade the experience for the world. But, I do miss having a reef. In the first picture I posted, you will see a leather (Sinularia Flexibilis). I need to get rid of it, due to space concerns. But, I am hesitant, because I love it. I have a soft spot for softies.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are under metal halide with t5 supplement.

The anemones are beautiful @macon77 !

For what it is worth, in the 90s I had a standard 55 gallon. I really liked it. It ran with 250 Watt Metal Halide. It homed a Ritteri Anemone (Heteractis magnifica), an awesome purple Sebae (Heteractis crispa) and a few Atlantic anemones for fun.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemones are beautiful @macon77 !

For what it is worth, in the 90s I had a standard 55 gallon. I really liked it. It ran with 250 Watt Metal Halide. It homed a Ritteri Anemone (Heteractis magnifica), an awesome purple Sebae (Heteractis crispa) and a few Atlantic anemones for fun.

I do love my halides. They do present some issues. But, I don't see me abandoning them anytime soon.

I am blown away by folks who are talented enough to keep some of the "tougher" anemones. There is a recent thread started by "Taylor t," that I am just fascinated by. I read it almost daily, just to see how the anemones are getting along. Anyone who hasn't seen it might be entertained.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/125-gallon-anemone-tank-move.387753/

"Taylor t" makes it look easy!!!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, your tank looks fantastic. I honestly really like it. You also have some very nice anemones. Are they all wild or do you have some "designers" mixed in there? I see some green/yellow tips :D Do you have a build thread on the tank with your equipment and such? My home tank aka my wife's tank is all softies and bubble tips. BTAs are my soft spot.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, your tank looks fantastic. I honestly really like it. You also have some very nice anemones. Are they all wild or do you have some "designers" mixed in there? I see some green/yellow tips :D Do you have a build thread on the tank with your equipment and such? My home tank aka my wife's tank is all softies and bubble tips. BTAs are my soft spot.
Hello!!! Thanks for stopping by!!! And, thank you!!!

There is not a "wild" anemone among these. (I guess all anemones were "wild," originally. But, these are all aquacultured.) There are quite a few Shermans. The vast majority of the others are unnamed. I don't want to open a can of worms, but there is one "designer" strain in there (Inferno). There are some cultured "funbursts," that are pretty impressive.

I did start a build thread for this tank some time ago, but never kept up with it. My initial efforts turned out to be disastrous, so I was too frustrated and embarrassed to even post about the tank. (Laughing at myself, here.) I ended up restarting the tank, before it ever got off the ground. The restart was nearly as frustrating, but I got through it!!! I WILL NEVER START A TANK WITH DRY ROCK AGAIN!!! I PROMISE!!!

And to address your wife's tank...SOFTIES ARE UNDERRATED. I love them.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love my halides. They do present some issues. But, I don't see me abandoning them anytime soon.

I am blown away by folks who are talented enough to keep some of the "tougher" anemones. There is a recent thread started by "Taylor t," that I am just fascinated by. I read it almost daily, just to see how the anemones are getting along. Anyone who hasn't seen it might be entertained.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/125-gallon-anemone-tank-move.387753/

"Taylor t" makes it look easy!!!

Yeah I have been following that thread. It is excellent.

EDIT: @Taylor t

Last edited:
OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been following that thread. It is excellent.
Aside from "Taylor t's" skills, those anemones are just glorious. I can't imagine what having such a critter must be like. Unfortunately, I will probably never know. I just can't stomach the idea of EXPECTING to have to treat an animal for an infection the moment it arrives at my doorstep. Nope. Not for me. I will continue to live vicariously through "Taylor t." Close enough for me.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous, and gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing, 'Newbie'!
Thank you, SKCotteen.

However, I feel like my photos are not really impressive. I see folks like d2mini (just one example) who are masters at taking photographs. There are some very talented photographers running around here. I certainly don't count myself among those numbers. Not even close.

dmunyon8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38958CB3-415E-4100-B28F-2906EBBA79CA.jpeg

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man! My wife would love it. I am in the same boat as you. Always learning. That's half the fun to me though.
Thank you!

So, build your wife an anemone tank! Come on, it will be fun.

Honestly, I used to have a tank that was near foolproof. Get up, turn the lights on, throw some food in, change some water, turn the lights off. No worries. Anything I threw in that tank would thrive. Nowadays...not so much. I always feel like I am about two steps behind the tank. I get the sense that I am always having to PREDICT what it might do, if that makes any sense. It is starting to mature, but is not quite there. I fully suspect, and this just my belief, that live rock makes all the difference in the world. There is "STUFF" on/in that rock that is magic. It almost makes "learning" unnecessary!!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back