A "Newbie" And His Anemones

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, crap. I forgot to "research" when I bought this lion.

In all honesty, I know (and knew) the risk. I still feel horribly about my blue fish. I am a bad fish parent.
We all make impulse buys. I did it and had to catch damsels out of my tank. Then I did it again and had to catch a blue sided fairy wrasse out of my tank and take it back to the LFS

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all make impulse buys. I did it and had to catch damsels out of my tank. Then I did it again and had to catch a blue sided fairy wrasse out of my tank and take it back to the LFS
Actually, the lion was not an impulse buy. I have always loved them. Since this tank has been running, I have not been able to find one that would eat something dead, until I found this one a few weeks ago. There had never been a question about whether, or not, I would get one, if I found one. Again, I knew the risks. It was a gamble I took. I do like the lion a lot, but I feel badly about my damsel.

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the lion was not an impulse buy. I have always loved them. Since this tank has been running, I have not been able to find one that would eat something dead, until I found this one a few weeks ago. There had never been a question about whether, or not, I would get one, if I found one. Again, I knew the risks. It was a gamble I took. I do like the lion a lot, but I feel badly about my damsel.
Our conversation here inspired a thread of my own. Check it out
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biggest-disaster.392453/

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MOMENT OF TRUTH TIME!!!

Here is why I have not posted pictures of my tank until now. This is what the tank looked like during its "uglies" stage. This was just too embarrassing to post, at that point.

And, this is why I will never start a tank with dry rock (even seeded), ever again. There should inevitably be some ridiculous life form take over the tank that NO ONE ON THE PLANET CAN EVEN IDENTIFY, MUCH LESS FIND A SOLUTION FOR!!!

I also love some algae species. I was trying to grow the caulerpa that is pictured. Whatever this mess was that took over the tank, even the algae couldn't survive its consumptive abilities. Everything in the tank seemed to be starving to death.

In the first picture here, you can see the first anemone in this tank. It was in the cave, hiding from the brown crap. Even the anemone was scared of it.

***If anyone ever encounters this mess, URCHINS WILL EAT IT!!!***

IMG_0183.JPG IMG_0276.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a thread about anemones. But, but, but, but...

Before...
IMG_0374.JPG

After...
IMG_1141.JPG

I have kept the setosa as an "indicator."
The leather will likely have to be rehomed, unfortunately.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. I love this.. and your pictures are prettt dang perfect.. I think you are definitely being to hard on yourself.. keep up the good work and if you ever consider getting rid of your babies.. babies.. let me know lol

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. I love this.. and your pictures are prettt dang perfect.. I think you are definitely being to hard on yourself.. keep up the good work and if you ever consider getting rid of your babies.. babies.. let me know lol
Thanks, Sistawolf. I appreciate the comments.

The main issues I have with the pictures are that 1) the colors are frequently slightly off (relative to what my eyes see) and 2) it is impossible to capture "metallic" in a picture.

I have rehomed quite a few, recently. It will likely be a while before I need to thin the herd, again.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@drblakjak55 commented about the bubbles on some of the anemones. That got me to thinking and looking.

This is one anemone. Some of the tentacles are bubbled, others are not. (The picture looks sideways, but it is not.)
IMG_1150.JPG

This anemone has some of the strangest tentacles I have seen on a BTA. Even the clownfish thinks the anemone is a weirdo.
IMG_1173.JPG

Then, there is this. Unstoppable bubbles. There is even one tentacle with two bubbles (left side, about halfway down).
IMG_1171.JPG

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back