A Peaceful and Colorful Wrasse for a 45 gallon?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating on whether my last fish for my 45 gallon should be a marine betta, a puffer, or a wrasse for some time and I finally decided on a wrasse because I don't know enough about marine bettas, value my shrimps and crabs, and I have plans for a tuxedo urchin and a BTA for my two ocellaris clowns in the future once my tank is more established, since I've only had it for about 5 months. My current fish that I have are 2 ocellaris clowns, 3 blue-green chromis, a firefish, and I have a royal gramma in the QT that I am treating for flukes. Any suggestions based on this?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first. Do you have a top of some sort on the tank? Wrasses are notorious jumpers.

By far my favorite fish ever have been my pair of Blue Star Leopard Wrasses. In your tank, one will work just fine. They tend to stay relatively small, so that will help. They are model citizens of the reef. I have never seen an aggression issue from or towards them. They spend their days cruising around looking for morsels (pests, mostly) to eat and so also serve a very important role in the overall health of the system.

They can be difficult to acclimate (delicate shippers?), but once established are, at least IMO, the perfect reef fish.

hth

TysTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first. Do you have a top of some sort on the tank? Wrasses are notorious jumpers.

By far my favorite fish ever have been my pair of Blue Star Leopard Wrasses. In your tank, one will work just fine. They tend to stay relatively small, so that will help. They are model citizens of the reef. I have never seen an aggression issue from or towards them. They spend their days cruising around looking for morsels (pests, mostly) to eat and so also serve a very important role in the overall health of the system.

They can be difficult to acclimate (delicate shippers?), but once established are, at least IMO, the perfect reef fish.

hth

+1 for blue star leopard wrasse. I’m looking for a male right now for my tank. Such an awesome fish and has been a great addition to the tank.

OP
OP
a;lksdjf

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hth
Yes I have a top. If not for it the fire fish would have abandoned ship lol. I will do some research on these guys. Is it difficult to get them eating?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard Wrasse might be a bit cramped in a 45 gallon long term. The issues with Leopard Wrasses is that they tend not to ship well and are pod eaters by default. The trick is to watch one at your LFS that has been there for a week or two and see them eat other foods, this greatly increases your chance of success with them. Personally I would say that a Flasher Wrasse would be better suited to a 45 gallon for long term, but as long as you follow the recommended advice you should be okay with a Leopard Wrasse if you do go with one.

manilaboy1vic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a sixline wrasse recently. his mates are:

maroon clown
LMB
Coral Beauty
yellow fin damsel

absolutely no aggression in the tank unless the damsel gets too close to my clowns BTA.. actually now that i think about it.. the coral beauty is not a damsel fan either.. but the sixline is peaceful for me, he dont bother anyone.. he is small tho.. im not adding anymore fish either...

i dont have sand either.. ive read sixline are ok with no sand.. most of the others need sand.. i had a yellow wrasse in the past and he would dive into the sand when he went to bed.. he was pretty cool..

i know im risking it, but i have no top.. my tank is 68g.. for reference.

Back