A pet peeve of mine

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see 1, uno, one more thread on RC on asking what there zoas are I am going to go crazy!!!!!! :x
I so bad want to say, "Did you buy it because you liked the way it looked or did you buy it because you think its extremely rare and will make a large profit from it?"

Just a little rant....I think Im better :D

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree!!!

RC is great for zoanthid information, but the ID and How much threads are getting out of control.

I'm not sure if anybody has picked up on the trend but zoas are slowly moving away from the HOT coral. People are getting less for their zoas than before. I have a feeling that this chop-shop trend will be done in the next few months.

The next question is : What will be the next "It" coral?

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'll be glad when the chop-shop trend fades out. Very annoying.

I'll still like zoas though. It will be nice to collect and trade them without the get-rich-quick people jumping in.

The next "it" coral for me is micromussa. Easy to care for and lots of super bright colors :) And you gotta love watching those fat little piggies scarf down food :)

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit the times I see a "what are these called" post & then a couple of days later an Ebay auction for frags! :(

Cheers Shelton.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoas are always going to be the "IT" coral for me...

but I've also been collecting some very nice blasto wellsi's and multicolored FL rics.. :)

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have "them" corals instead of "it" corals :)

Zoas, micros, blastos, yumas, as long as they are unique and cool looking :)

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the next "it" coral is some thing that is colored like poop so I won't like it... LOL

Laurie

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, hate going through 5 pages of topics to find 10 good reads hidden amongst "ID and going price" posts.

I will probably never sell any zoanthids, but plan to trade like no tomorrow once my frags grow up. I am the same way with my orchids though, and my collection of them has grown leaps and bounds through trading with nice people, and I can always get a backup if one dies (I can post pics of my favorites if anyones interested).

I agree about the Micromussa, I'm already thinking of starting another tank just for them. Some of the color combinations make my hand instinctually reach for my wallet.

Jon

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man, i've been saying this stuff since january ;) but no one would listen to me. lol

instead everyone was so excited their zoas were the next "IT" coral.

me personally, i hope there is no next "IT" corals. these fads hurt the hobby by causing inflation. corals all go up in price, stores try to sell them at these large prices, then eventually the fad dies out and these places go out of business. and then all the chop shoppers pop up trying to profit on the next "IT" coral, but before they can grow out their frags the fad is over, so they just ditch them.

btw....i thought micros already had their time in the spotlight?

heres the coral fad history as far back as i can remember to when i started the hobby...

-ricordias (esspecially yumas)
-encrusting monti's (like the superman, the fad started to die out when all the wild brown superman started coming in and sold as supermans)
-the blue zoa craze was the same time as the encrusting monti's
-then the acan fad hit (i figured micros were before or after this)
-then the named zoas have been booming since everyone really touted the use of ZoaID over on the RC forums.

keep in mind, i'm sure there were little corals fads in this time line. like the green polyped toadstool, green laced cloves, and those stupid favia ;) but they never hit it big as a species
-

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris2222000 said:
When do you think Xenia will be the next big fad :shock:

That's easy, when they find one with a blue body and red polyps. I can see it now UBER RARE SUPERMAN XENIA! Makes me wish I had some photoshop skills.

Jon

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris2222000 said:
When do you think Xenia will be the next big fad :shock:

actually, xenia has already been the "IT" coral a while back, before ricordia's. totally forgot about that. at one time a single stalk of xenia went for HUGE $$$. ;)

the reason it was so hard to find in the aquarium trade is b/c it never shipped well. but someone eventually got it to survive and then it spread like a wild fire in short distance trading. there are several different kinds out there, including a "blue" kind. and i imagine the problems it has shipping is what is keeping that particular blue morph from becoming a big hit.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha.. micro were the IT fad coral a while back or maybe rather lords.

When I wrote "it" coral, I meant for me personally. Because I like it, not because its the fad.

So for me, I"m going to work on my micro collection, and also want to pick up unique lords. Those things are easy to care for, and there are some crazy bright colorful ones.

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[quote="surfn]there are several different kinds out there, including a "blue" kind. and i imagine the problems it has shipping is what is keeping that particular blue morph from becoming a big hit.[/quote]

I was at my LFS looking for zoa frags and he had 3, 4 polyp frags. He was keeping 2 and selling the other for $100. dang pricey but they were pretty cool looking. He had gotten a colony of about 30 polyps and these were the only ones to survive.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh... one of the locals wanted to trade Atlantis' blue xenia for a polyp of AoG. We had a heat wave a week or so ago, and his xenia got nuked. Now he wants to trade a bunch of Fragglereef orange/green clove polyps.

I posted "Superman Aiptasia" on a rare thread a while ago. Yeah, I was being a wise butt.
supermanaiptasia.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back