A public "Thanks" to Humblefish

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The part of his name, "Humble" is absolutely true!!!

I have been in the hobby since I helped my father with his own saltwater aquariums back to the late 70's. I've been around the block a time or two, and also worked part time at an LFS for a bit when I was in the Navy. I'm no expert, but also not new to this. I ALSO know better on many things, even if I didn't know it in the past. So, what happened, was I cut QT short for a fish when it wasn't eating yet. A Regal Angel no less, so not eating right away was no surprise. Yet, my wife's entreaties of "He might eat if more comfortable in that big tank" eventually swayed me.

What I ended up with is velvet in my DT :( He likely showed signs of it even when I moved him, but with so much yellow I probably just missed it. He had already been through TTM and two Prazi rounds and was in the observation period. By the time I saw an issue everything moved FAST!!! We lost the regal, and I saw some spots on a kole tang. I assumed it was ich, got disgusted, and went to bed. By the next day I lost one after another. In the end I lost a regal angel, flame angel, kole tang, two royal grammas, and two clown fish. Only a firefish and a blue spot watchman showed no signs of it, and the third royal gramma hanging in there but obviously effected. There was also one Foxface Lo I was 100% sure had only hours left when I started talking to Humblefish. I DID manage to catch the Foxface, somehow, and it has recovered entirely. I had NO hope, but he kept me calm and I had things on hand he could direct me to. I did a freshwater dip, followed by a Formalin dip, and then into QT with copper. I have since obtained a prescription for CP and switched to that, and the other few remaining fish have been caught to start the fallow period.

Not ONCE did Humblefish point out I should have known better than to move that Regal to the DT early, against even my own usual QT. He only kept me calm, gave advice, and THEN much later sent a message asking how the Foxface was doing since I thought he would be gone from scratching wounds alone.

This forum is one lucky forum to have someone with his knowledge always ready to help, as well as never being judgemental. I knew I messed up, he got my history and knows I messed up, but he worried only about how to help!!

While I'm now in a fallow period and no active issue, I hope it's ok to post right here in the fish disease forum with a huge "Thank you!!". I lost more than I ever expected, but some fish were saved!! Including "Pac-Man" the Foxface :)

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the list of Humble fans. Lucky for my fish Humble and his wife stopped by one day and let me know what I thought was Ich was actually Velvet. It was too late for a large number of fish but he certainly saved a few of them. Both are just nice as can be and were always available to help through treatment. IMO, he's the perfect candidate for MASNAs aquarist of the year award...

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to jump on the @Humblefish train too! I've said it before and I will say it again. If were not for him, I would not be where I am today in this hobby. He is dedicated to R2R, and ALWAYS gives excellent advice! This is why I love being a part of the community, with the leadership we have here!

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said but I owe my success to him as well!

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot agree with you more about how lucky we are to have someone like humblefish a part of this community. Corals dying are one thing, but to watch a fish die is much more difficult for me to see. If it was not for all the information on this site which humblefish either wrote or contributed to about fish disease, I may have left the hobby a few years ago. Truly a phenomenal asset who’s deserving of all the praise!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with what everyone has said. Nearly everything I have learned about quarantine and treating my fish has come from Humblefish. Every time I talk to him, I learn something new. I have a few tanks of healthy fish thanks to his guidance (and few more fish wrapping up QT in a few weeks.)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, thank you so much @ScooterV and thanks to everyone else for chiming in with these amazing comments. :) I got pretty choked up reading them.

Sorry I haven't been around as much lately, but starting a new business venture has been kicking my butt. ;) It makes me feel good knowing the advice I give has helped so many. But let's not forget the tireless efforts of so many others who help make R2R's fish disease forum such an amazing place to get advice. I couldn't do this without their help & support.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back