A question regarding coralline

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium has been running since August of 2013. My parameters are as follows:
SG: 1.026
DKH: 7.5
Ca: 450-460
Mg: 1350-1400
Temp: 77-80
Lighting intensity has been constant since day one, and bulb combo has been the same for 7 months.
I use a skimmer, carbon passively in a bag in the sump, a single side waterfall algae scrubber, and recently started asmall amount of vinegar dosing for nutrient control.
Once my parameters stayed stable, coralline growth took off. The back and one side panel were solid walls of coralline. Im not sure why, but about 6 weeks ago, I noticed the coralline is slowly crashing. It's not turning white, it appears to slowly bubble then flake off the glass.
I've been battling turf algae and a weird, slippery, rubbery orange/brown algae, and rather than add more lighting to the scrubber,I started vinegar dosing 2 weeks ago. The coralline crash seems to have accelerated since starting vinegar. Does anyone have insight on why coralline would crash in a stable tank? Any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. It's about a month old and you can see the bare glass spots the coralline has peeled off of. The corals have been doing great.
image.jpg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back