Is this a type of coralline?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this tank 10 months ago using dry rock, bottled bac and a container of seeded rock rubble. I have been dosing bacto balance and zeobak for 6 months or so and to me the tank is looking very good. I've had very little nuisance algae or bacteria. Acros are encrusting and this stuff does not appear to be growing on the coral. This is my first dry rock start up and I do not have this in my other 2 tanks so I'm more curious than worried. It does not blow off, is smooth but not slimy and I can not scrape it off with my fingernail. Colors in the images are pretty close to the actual colors. I have some coralline on the glass and pumps but it's the typical light purple that I get in all the other tanks. TIA
FTS 20231229_113024.jpg
A couple closer shots 20231229_110505.jpg
20231229_110516.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, maroon coralline. If it doesn’t blow off which you said it doesn’t then that’s what you’ve got. I’ve got lots of it in my tank. Nice contrast with the pink, purple and green.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it slimy? Does it blow off the rock if you take a turkey baster to it? No? Then don't worry about it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks. I'll admit I was getting a little concerned :face-with-hand-over-mouth: Mostly because I don't have the same stuff in my other two tanks. I assume probably because they were started with live rock which was most likely already populated with other life. I do kind of like to looks of it.
Maybe I'll snag a small rock with some on it and put it in my other tank that is struggling with algae right now. Diversity can't hurt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back