ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mean Green

meangreens.jpg

-Another of the well known Zoanthid color strains, the mean green has a simple color pattern. A brown skirt, green disc, and a grey center. One of the keys to IDing Mean Greens is the size of the grey center as this area expands larger than just the mouth.

Lighting:
I have found that Mean Greens are more sensitive to lights and do best at a lower/medium height in the aquarium. When placed higher in the tank the disc can go from a classic green color to a more neon green yellow; however, I have found that this also causes the polyps to decrease in size.

Flow:
Similar to a lot of other zoanthids, Mean Greens do best with a medium flow. Medium flow can be best described as enough to move the skirt, but not enough to disturb it into closing.

Feeding:
Mean Greens do not show any signs of feeding.

Origins:
-

Rarity:
-

ID Confusions:
I find this to be one of the most wrongly IDed zoas out there. It is very common for Neon Green or Kryptonite strains to be labeled as Mean Greens. The biggest difference is in the size of the center grey area. The Mean Green strain has a much larger grey area and takes up much more space than the two strains listed above.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again the information above is only my experience. So please leave some feedback, pics, or any other info you can possibly come up with to make this post better. I'll update whenever possible/needed.

Thanks,

Luciano

PS. Don't forget to check out our last spotlight the Eagle Eye.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, agreed on the Kryptonite. That one is more yellow green, and has green highlights in the skirt.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great topics ficklefins.. thanks..

I also agree that the Mean Greens are sometimes mistaken for the green with blue mouth zoas..

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I call mean greens.They do better in lower light and and seem to draw up in bright light like ficklefins said.I have seen the centers draw up the size of the Kryptonite in the past. Here 2 pics to show the before and the after.You can see that the centers are larger in low light.

bright light
fragpack130.jpg

Same frag in Low light for 4 weeks.Sorry I need to clean the glass.
acrosaug2006124.jpg

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a thought if by lowering the light the mouth area expands then is that not a sign of increased oppotunity to catch something to eat or suck in more nutirents ie looking to nourish more by mouth intake as avaliable light is low

as colour variences are noted because of differing lights

physical changes/behaviour must also have a reason

longer lashe growth is noted when zoa's are placed in very strong flow

the fact that you can witness either large mouth or smaller mouth in the same zoa's when placed in different locations points to adapting to conditions, in this case i guess its just as obvious being with lower light on offer the zoa expands its mouth to take in more nutrients/nourishment as cannot rely on light alone

if the first person who put up this zoa for naming had kept theres under very high lights the actual named zoa picture would probably had a small mouth area lol (weather it looks nicer with large mouth area or not)

its still one of my favs either way

just a thought

fly guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think these are mean greens. I think they are kryptonites. They are clearly different IMo than the original pic ficklefin posted here. The large mishaped oral disk is what sets it apart, and I want some if anyone has them.

The other pic in this thread is of the same polyps i have I would call kryptonites. Here they are under actinic and 12ks, as well as under 10k's.

ficklefins.....am I msitaken and do you think they are the same??

krypt.jpg

greens.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back