A R2R Spotlight: Pyro's Envy

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could possibly be the most confusing Spotlight to date; mainly because of the dynamic variations this paly has in each persons tank. If users have something close to Pyros Envy in their tank it would be great if you could post your tank setup, paly’s tank location, and where you got it from.

Pyro’s Envy

pyros_envy.jpg

- Pyro’s Envy is a difficult paly to describe because it can vary a lot between tanks. So I will describe the picture on zoaid.com. Randy, (the originator of these palys), will tell you that these guys will show different colors depending on your light setup. Under higher lighting the center becomes more red/orange while the blue is scattered and not uniform. Under lower lighting the center becomes more blue/black while the outer part of the oral disc is more orange/red. The one thing that holds true under any light setup is that the skirt will always take that orange/red color.

Lighting:
- This paly will tolerate a wide range of lighting. Be cautious when keeping them high in the tank under MH/T5 lights as they may not do well high in a tank under high lighting.

Flow:
- These guys will do best in medium/high flow situations with a variable flow being the optimal condition.

Feeding:
-

Origins:
-

Growth Rate:
- These are medium rate growers that spread better once established.

Rarity:
- Not very easy to find, and may fetch for a decent price.

ID Confusions:
- This may be the longest part of the entire ID of this Paly. Light levels play such a big role that various other paly types are often confused or IDed as Pyros. But the best indicator is lineage.
List of often confused palys:
Lunar Eclipse
Organism Palys
Tiger Hawk Claw

Other info:
- Randy from Maggies Aquarium Supply was the original namer of these zoas and has helped me with the info posted above. :hello2:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to comment on past Club-Zoa Spotlights:

Club-Zoa Zoanthid/Paly spotlights:
PPRPE

Pink Elephants

Ruby Red

Red People Eater

Mean Green

Eagle Eyes

Purple People Eaters

Zoanthid Anatomy

Armageddon

Purple Death

Armor of Gods

Nuclear Green

Club-Zoa Care Spotlights:

Shipping Methods

Zoa Dip

Zoanthid Anatomy

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are all three morphs. They are all under the same lighting and flow.

Morph #1
CHR_6487.jpg

Morph #2
CHR_6197.jpg

Morph #3
CHR_1955web.jpg

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris That 2nd pic does not look the same as pyros it is closer to Organism Palys IMO.I got a of some that looks like the same thing last week.By all means I hope I don't sound like a know it all.This is just imo.

Here is the colony when I got it a few years ago it was so ugly I put in the back of my tank for some time.
june06001.jpg

here I moved it under 10k up high, coloring up,same colony
acrosaug2006045.jpg

here it is after I changed over to 20k, up high, same colony.It was ate by a worm and I only have around 6-7 polyps left of this colony,but it is coming back slowly.
acrosaug2006091-2.jpg

Here I split the colony and put some under vho in my frag tank before the worm ate them.
april200720113-2.jpg

and I will add a pic so you can see the start of the morph of the vho colony after they have been under 14k mh for 3 weeks asap.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, could you point out some of the characteristics of a "true" pyro's envy? My LFS got in few colonies last week that looks exactly like the last pic you posted, (with yellow mouth, red skirt) and I'm just wondering if they are the same.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Randy around the beginning of the year (I think, may have been earlier).

When first got them:
126_2653.jpg

After a month or so, from the top (center):
126_2700-1.jpg

After a couple months from the side(14K halide, no actinic):
127_2799-1.jpg

I must admit, these photos do them no justice! I've found they get quite lightly colored under low K light (10,000K) and glow orange under actinic.

I've not noticed a feeding response, and give medium flow.

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, could you point out some of the characteristics of a "true" pyro's envy? My LFS got in few colonies last week that looks exactly like the last pic you posted, (with yellow mouth, red skirt) and I'm just wondering if they are the same.

If you look at the 1st and the 4th picture you see the yellow mouth and orange /red ring by the skirt is a good sign.The yellow mouth is hard to see in the 1st pic but it is there to the eye.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy your probably right, but I and finding it hard to tell the difference between the Organisms and the Pyros under 14k (looking at my second pic and jon's last pic).

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 week update under 250 w 14k mh of the same colony that was under vho's.You can see that they are starting to turn all orange/red on the center.My guess in 2-3 more weeks they will be all the way colored.

000_8837.JPG

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this post is a bit aged, but I just thought I'd add in what I have. I think they may be Pyro's Envys. :)

DSC_0336.jpg

Brandon

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back