A Reef 2 Reef Spotlight "Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp".

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genus = Lysmata
Species = L. Amboinensis
Common name= Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

paly6.jpg

Size and growth rate
L. Amboinensis can be found up to 2 inches long. They grow by shedding their shell. Excess iodine in the reef aquarium can expedite growth rates and shedding of the shell. This isn't a very good thing so don't try it.

Location and geographic range
Cleaner Shrimp are often found in groups, the Shrimp will set up a cleaning station on coral reefs or rubble, waiting for fish to come and be cleaned. It feeds on ectoparasites or dead tissue that it picks from the body and oral cavities/gills of these fish (e.g., Tangs or Groupers) in the wild or in the aquarium. It is very sociable and will live peacefully with almost all reef inhabitants.They range in all area's of the Indo Pacific.

Attachment to substrate
Cleaner Shrimpare very mobile, they are often found cleaning parasites from fish passing by.

Lighting and flow requirements
Lighting and water flow really don't affect shrimp much, just as long as they have some light and a nice gentile flow they should be fine.

Coloration
The Indo-Pacific White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp is also known as the Indo-Pacific White-Banded Cleaner Shrimp, Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp. It may also be called the Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp because of the very distinct two bright red stripes surrounding one white stripe running down its back. There are two species usually referred to as striped cleaner shrimp, the L. amboinensis with white spots at the end of the tail, and from the Atlantic, the L. grabhami that has no spots. The L. amboinensis is one of the most popular shrimp for the home aquarium.

Reef compatibility
Shrimp are for the most part very reef safe, even beneficial. There are however many types of fish that prey on shrimp. IE Hawk fish, Triggers, Lions, etc.

Conclusion and comments.
Cleaner shrimp are common to the aquarium industry. They are being farmed by many farms throughout the world and are easily obtained. They have been known to spawn successfully in the home aquarium but it is very rare.

It is my personal opinion that if you intend to keep a Cleaner Shrimp you should have an aquarium of 10 gallons or larger. They can be kept in smaller tanks but they rapidly outgrow them.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Spotlight! 1smile1 Love these busy little boogers! When my daughter was small she would stick her hand in the tank and giggle as they cleaned her! :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice spotlight! Members please post your comments about these shrimp as well as your own pics please!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes please insert info and pics here!! :D

rroselavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Scarlet Cleaner Shrimps are great to watch, and are good eating extra food in the aquarium, but are often agressive about eating and often pull food out of the mouth of some corals, such as fungia plate corals. DIY feeding domes can be used to isolate corals being spot fed, but using domes can be tedious.

Antonias1391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my guy i love him to death! he always cleans the fish at night cause they dont trust him during the day lol
newcoralsandfish091.jpg

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Spotlight! 1smile1 Love these busy little boogers! When my daughter was small she would stick her hand in the tank and giggle as they cleaned her! :D

Must be a girl thing. My 7 year old daughter does the exact same thing. Also, has to show her friends or guests when they come over for the first time.

She named him Joffrey. :)

IMAG0758.jpg

Marta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is "Jacques" our cleaner shrimp. We have had him since we first started saltwater and he is most certainly one of our favorites. Loves to climb on top of the duncans when we are spot feeding. Knows how to climb on the syringe to make sure he gets his fair share, too!

Cleaner Shrimp.jpg

Rosekeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read they only live about 2 yrs...which we had ours for 2 1/2. Very fun to watch and very beneficial.
Ours passed last month.

Attachments

• IMG_4325.jpg
    IMG_4325.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 423

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always loved my cleaner shrimp... although... when feeding my LPS corals he is a BANDIT !!! he will "clean" as far deep into a LPS head as he can to steal the mysis shrimp!! to the point that i think he might actually be damaging the corals(mostly duncans or my lobos)..

anyone else have this issue? maybe i need to find a "finer" feeding solution rather than large mysis

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back