Clown attacking cleaner shrimp

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home today to find my cleaner shrimp all beat up and missing whiskers and a tail nipped off. They have lived harmoniously for about 4-5 months now but all of a sudden both clowns seem to be non stop hunting the shrimp. There’s 4 other fish in the tank but the clowns don’t care about them only the poor shrimp. Will they calm down, will the shrimp heal itself, and why are they acting this way???

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clownfish? Are they maroons, Clarkiis, our tomatoes because those species are more aggressive.
No just captive bred ocellaris. Its so odd because they are only targeting the shrimp and no other tank mates. I am worried because I have a mandarin who is still recovering from the LFS I rescued him from and if this aggression keeps up then I am worried he will be next. The clowns and the same cleaner shrimp were in a 13 gallon for 2 months together before moving them both to the 30 gallon long. They are not hosting any anemones or corals, and have never showed signs of aggression in the past. It is so sudden and targeted its really making me wonder

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just captive bred ocellaris. Its so odd because they are only targeting the shrimp and no other tank mates. I am worried because I have a mandarin who is still recovering from the LFS I rescued him from and if this aggression keeps up then I am worried he will be next. The clowns and the same cleaner shrimp were in a 13 gallon for 2 months together before moving them both to the 30 gallon long. They are not hosting any anemones or corals, and have never showed signs of aggression in the past. It is so sudden and targeted its really making me wonder
The only thing I can think of are the clowns went rouge. Do they have a host coral/anemone? It is possible the cleaner shrimp was trying to get food from their host and they were just defending their home.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of are the clowns went rouge. Do they have a host coral/anemone? It is possible the cleaner shrimp was trying to get food from their host and they were just defending their home.
2 anemones in the tank, one on either side, but i have not seen the clowns take any interest to them. I put the female into a breeder box and am going to leave her there tomrrow to calm down (she takes things really hard when I mess with her so hopefully it works). I am just worried because the male is freaking out that the female is boxed in and the female is obviously upset she cannot freely swim. I was thinking a day or 2 but how do you know when to release them and aggression goes down

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 anemones in the tank, one on either side, but i have not seen the clowns take any interest to them. I put the female into a breeder box and am going to leave her there tomrrow to calm down (she takes things really hard when I mess with her so hopefully it works). I am just worried because the male is freaking out that the female is boxed in and the female is obviously upset she cannot freely swim. I was thinking a day or 2 but how do you know when to release them and aggression goes down
I think my only logical idea at this point is that your clownfish have gone rouge.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 fish and a shrimp in a 30g may be a territorial issue. Each occupant needs their own home turf. My clowns were peaceful as could be until they set up their home base in my 90gal. Now I'm not even allowed in the tank.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be possible the clown has eggs? Also try the mirror trick
That could be the case, I saw some behaviors from the male today that were odd like he was biting the rocks where the cleaner usually hangs out. I got them very small about a year ago now and they have been paired since. They were in the 13.5 gallon for about 6 months before I transfered them to the new tank about 4 months ago. The other fish have been in the tank for the same amount of time. in the 13 I had 2 clowns, a goby, and an orchid dottyback that all got along in there, then when i upgraded I added a midas blenny and a mandarin. For all 4 months there was 0 aggression and the clowns were actually the ones getting scared off by the midas and goby. the female is in a breeder box for the next 24 hours and we will see how that works. I am curious about the eggs though!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back