A Reef 2 Reef Spotlight "Sunny Delight"

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brought back from the dead, the Spotlight is rearing its ugly head with some solar energy.

Sunny Delight

Sunny_D.png

If you are "lucky" enough to have experienced the nectar that dawned the "Solar Energy" marketing campaign, than you know what to expect from a paly named Sunny Delight (or Sunny D for short). If you aren't familiar with the product line I've included a picture below,mmmmmmmm......
3307487000_97ab66efbe.jpg

:dribble: Wipe off the drool and let's talk characteristics and parameters: :dribble:

Lighting:
- Sunny Delights are a light tolerant palys that will display maximum color at the bottom/middle of a high light tank.
- Expect some blurring of colors (missing the distinct rings) when placed in lower light situations

Flow:
- Ideal location would be a medium flow location receiving indirect current.
- I've had good luck placing mine in a location where it received medium/high flow that comes off a side wall.

Feeding:
- While not a requirement, these palys (like most palys) will respond to being fed.
- Meaty foods or small pellets is a safe way to go.

Origins:
- Originally named Vivid's Rainbows, dfladermaus explains the name change with the following:

Thanks Ian. You got it totally right. At the time I bought them vivid was selling them for vey cheap. Before the craze. I think I paid 30$ for like 15 or so polyps. I grew them out and started trading/selling them. But I thought vivid's name was confusing so I called them sunny delights. Pretty boring story but that is how it goes.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f14/origin-sunny-ds-rainbow-polyp-35834.html

Rarity:
- Not widely available but easy enough to find through a good google search.

ID Confusions:
- As noted above, this paly may or may not be directly linked to Vivid's Rainbows. I'm hoping that this spotlight will help address those questions, and if a new conclusion is derived I will update the information on here accordingly.

Other Information:
-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget, these spotlights are only as strong as the feedback and pics we get from you people out there. So please, post a comment, a pic, or a question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R2R has organized all the spotlights into a single forum so feel free to post pics, comments, or questions:

R2R Spotlight Series

CoralQueen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nobody? well I have to say that these are some totally awesome palys!! I just got some maybe a week ago and although they were really slow to open up, when they did i could not take my eyes away! They are now my new favorite!

Also this came from Scopus Tang as the final conclusion (https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f14/origin-sunny-ds-rainbow-polyp-35834.html):

"So Sunny D's are a morph of the original Vivid Rainbows, and the application of the name to a later group of these polyps has probably confused the issue. Hence why some people are referencing the current Vivid Rainbows as Sunny D's, and others are saying that they are different polyps. At least that explains some of the confusion"

Basically I would say that they were originally they same but the sunny d's have now become a morph of the vivids rainbows and have white speckles on the skirt as well as more of a yellow coloration. While the Vivid Rainbows remain the same orange coloration but both with the same pattern.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a single "Vivid Rainbow" directly from Vivid about a year and a half ago now. Since then only 2 new polyps have grown. Do you find these palys grow slower than the norm for you as well?

CoralQueen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if you were addressing me or not, but I am actually getting my vivid rainbows in the mail today about two polyps. The sunny d i received has one baby growing on it, but i also just received that one. I do not have the experience with them; however, i have heard from all over that they are pretty slow growers. It usually depends on the conditions in your tank though as well. I have power compacts in my tank so corals that like low lighting go crazy in my tank. Usually zoas and palys especially get really big for me and have a really good growth rate. For instance, Candy Apple Reds I have heard usually grow about one polyp a month, but in my tank i have been averaging one every three weeks. Its not a big difference, but over time it can really make a difference!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is my colony. There are a few more since this shot.

1SunnyD.jpg

With Flash:

12.jpg

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow those are crazy rev...they are soooo pretty...
i acquired 12 polyps last year and yeah they are slow to open up,i traded a few polyps,it grew me 2 polyps in a month..but then i had an issue with alk and its one of my zoas/palys that got affected...i managed to save 5 polyps but they look really bad no color at all...its starting to color up now...
sorry for the ugly pic
DSC00449.jpg

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to have to get me some of these if i can find them..........Awsome paly!!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up Luciano! Wish I had something to contribute on these - but I've never aquired true Sunny D's, mine are Vivid's Rainbows.

Also this came from Scopus Tang as the final conclusion (https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f14/origin-sunny-ds-rainbow-polyp-35834.html):

"So Sunny D's are a morph of the original Vivid Rainbows, and the application of the name to a later group of these polyps has probably confused the issue. Hence why some people are referencing the current Vivid Rainbows as Sunny D's, and others are saying that they are different polyps. At least that explains some of the confusion"

Basically I would say that they were originally they same but the sunny d's have now become a morph of the vivids rainbows and have white speckles on the skirt as well as more of a yellow coloration. While the Vivid Rainbows remain the same orange coloration but both with the same pattern.

How strange it is to wake up, get on the computer in the morning and find yourself quoted LOL!

At any rate, one of the things that I would still like to know - that I'm not sure we will ever know the answer to - is if Mike (aka flricordia) ever actually aquired true Sunny D's or if he simply took to calling his Vivid Rainbows Sunny Ds. If so, obviously that has only added to the confusion. One of the other things that I think would really help is if someone could get a side by side shot of Sunny Ds and Vivid Rainbows, so the distinction is clear and easy to see. CoralQueen, since you've indicated you will soon have both, perhaps you could do that for us?

CoralQueen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up Luciano! Wish I had something to contribute on these - but I've never aquired true Sunny D's, mine are Vivid's Rainbows.

How strange it is to wake up, get on the computer in the morning and find yourself quoted LOL!

At any rate, one of the things that I would still like to know - that I'm not sure we will ever know the answer to - is if Mike (aka flricordia) ever actually aquired true Sunny D's or if he simply took to calling his Vivid Rainbows Sunny Ds. If so, obviously that has only added to the confusion. One of the other things that I think would really help is if someone could get a side by side shot of Sunny Ds and Vivid Rainbows, so the distinction is clear and easy to see. CoralQueen, since you've indicated you will soon have both, perhaps you could do that for us?

sure thing! I believe that someone posted a side by side shot on the thread that you started, but i will definitely add my own as soon as everything is opened up and happy... not sure how long that will take =/

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread. mine were doing ok until i got that hybrid lemon peel. she liked all of my colorful ones. zoas are finally recovering and glad that angel is now in one of my customers tank. great photos as well Rev.

CoralQueen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefingpasadena posted this pic (Sunny ds, vivid rainbows under them, and Raptors Rainbows below that):

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f14/origin-sunny-ds-rainbow-polyp-35834.html#post388024

i think that link takes you directly to the image not sure how to add it directly to the thread. but anyway i think it really shows the yellowish hue of the sunny ds with the lightly speckled skirt in comparison to the oranger hue of the vivid rainbows. But also shows the similarity of the almost identical basic pattern. These are both under the exact same lighting so there should be no bias about the effect of the lighting.

and awesome pics Rev! so jealous of the colony! soon i will be there... soon =)

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure where they came from and they could possibly be a morph from the Vivid Rainbows but they are deffinitly different by looks. Everyone thinks they look the same but they look nothing a like, look at this pic and tell me if they look similar.
DSC03614.jpg

sunny ds at the top, Vivid Rainbows right under them and there is the Raptors Rainbows at the bottom.

Here you go.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefingpasadena posted this pic (Sunny ds, vivid rainbows under them, and Raptors Rainbows below that):

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f14/origin-sunny-ds-rainbow-polyp-35834.html#post388024

i think that link takes you directly to the image not sure how to add it directly to the thread. but anyway i think it really shows the yellowish hue of the sunny ds with the lightly speckled skirt in comparison to the oranger hue of the vivid rainbows. But also shows the similarity of the almost identical basic pattern. These are both under the exact same lighting so there should be no bias about the effect of the lighting.

and awesome pics Rev! so jealous of the colony! soon i will be there... soon =)

Here you go.

Awesome; thank you both!

dfladermaus

Mad Scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add some more info to this story I think. After purchasing the "original" sunny d's from vivid under the name vivid rainbow, I went back to vivid to see if he had more and unfortunately Dave at the time told me they did not. I do not know if the Vivid Rainbows he sells now are the same as the ones I bought years ago, but I would surmise that they are from a different colony. The ones I have and still sell are from the original piece I got 3 years ago. Good luck figuring it out!

obi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love these palys if anyone has them avaliable shoot me a pm thanks

NeveroddoreveN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCF1989.jpg

Here are mine. I've grown about 4 new polyps in the last couple of months (8 total now.) Thank you so much for this post. I had thought the loss of color definition was due to too much light. Hopefully mine will look like that soon!

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunny D's are some of the nicest palys in my 24 gallon. It grows about 4-6 polyps a month now and I feed them mysis every other day, along with some oyster, phyto, and roti-feast when I feed my other corals.

IMG_1639.jpg

Tajjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those look amazing! I want some now. Does vivid have the best looking rainbow pallys though? Or if you guys have any lmk

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are one of my favorites that I have. Pictures taken with a Cannon Power Shot SD1000. 2 UV bulb Actinics for the actinic shot. Natural sunlight with 2 UV white bulbs (can't remember if 75.25 or what) and 2 UV actinic bulbs. No flash.

5e359afc.jpg

22c0f31d.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back