OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If needed, I can also order from a place called indo pacific sea farm. They have some cool stuff too.
Definitely a cool place, though the live substrates they sell do not substitute the usage of live rock, etc. in my opinion. Nonetheless, I was highly impressed with their Mix 'n Match Special and the life I received from it. Check my build thread for more details.
With respect to this thread, sadly they do not stock any native seagrasses (at least not currently).

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a cool place, though the live substrates they sell do not substitute the usage of live rock, etc. in my opinion. Nonetheless, I was highly impressed with their Mix 'n Match Special and the life I received from it. Check my build thread for more details.
With respect to this thread, sadly they do not stock any native seagrasses (at least not currently)
WheatToast,
I took a look at your build, and honestly looks really awesome. One question I do have about it is, isnt a DSP classified as being 6" or deeper?
Also, How are your sponges doing and what is your process to take care of them?
That blue one you got looks AWESOME!

When I first learned about DSB's ( long ago) I saw this article: written by Ronald Shimek. However, in digging around, I couldn't find the original article but I found something similar.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/rs/feature/index.php

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have meant Doctor Ron. While I don’t write books, I read them. For 20 yrs, I operated a Jaubert Plenum with a sandbed 6” in depth.

Initially Jaubert Plenum was put forth as a natural nitrate reduction tool that used a coarser substrate at
1-2 mm with a 4”-6” sandbed on top of plenum. The oxygen decreasing gradients were extended over a larger volume of nitrate reducing bacteria.

Dr Ron emphasised diversity of micro fauna & fana in deep sandbed as the first priority. Recycling inorganic & organic nutrients into live food for hungry mouths. Diversity of food is my priority as well. However, that does not require a dsb.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kudos to the above. You should consider writing a r2r article. It’s been years since I have been to this Chuck’s Addiction site. Thank you for bringing it to light.

Thanks; Chuck's addiction is an awesome page. Lots of experience with sea critters boiled down there. Unfortunately it's not written in easy sound bites not is it directly applicable to whatever tank problem folks are having. I lament the low level of biological knowledge in general in reefing, and in particular the lack of interest in biotopes in the saltwater world.

My dad subscribed to TFH in the 80s and I remember all the articles about Heiko Bleher and the like running around the world discovering and collecting first-known-to-science freshwater fish. I was delighted enough to see the dude's still running around doing the same thing (and reporting on you-never-would-have-thought-stuff like the ornamental discus breeding market in Iran!) that I got all his FW biotope books.

I did propose a marine biotope article set a while ago but got no takers. My biggest problem is that I don't have a lot of practical experience at this point. (something to at least be somewhat remedied soon, I hope.......)

Yes, from N2 in the water. it need not take up any nutrient forms of N.

Thanks, Randy. It does seem then that seagrass can used to take up and export N2, and presumably also phosphates, though they probably can be easily out-competed by caulerpa, GHA, and various other forms of pest.....

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[I did propose a marine biotope article set a while ago but got no takers. My biggest problem is that I don't have a lot of practical experience at this point. (something to at least be somewhat remedied soon, I hope.......)]

@VR28man
Having started this journey which has evolved in a passion to understand how these ecosystems work together to create the coral holibiont with crosstalk between bacteria to adjust gene expression for the benefit of all. Recent advances in research on the sponge loop biochemistry to remove DOC & POC has dramatically altered nutrient management in my systems which are interconnected & interdependent using cryptic sponges, bacteria and algae which includes coral zooanthellia.

With respect to biotheme tanks, John Tullock discribed in “The Natural Reef Aquarium” the benefits of creating biotheme system or systems with pivotal species tanks such as SPS or predator tank. On this website there are forums of biotheme tanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy. It does seem then that seagrass can used to take up and export N2, and presumably also phosphates, though they probably can be easily out-competed by caulerpa, GHA, and various other forms of pest.....

That seems likely to me. :)

hivelyj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aragonite is in display as reverse flow UG filter. In one tank, Flourite is in sump with miracle mud and in one tank Flourite is in path of display tank overflow to sump.
Next tank I run will be the Paul B reverse UG filter.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think this would work with the DSB and the sea grasses. I'd be willing to give it a shot however, cannot seen to find sea grass for sale anywhere online.
Wonder if you could also use CO2 injection?

As I reread the first page of this thread, I want to park right here. I will build a calcium reactor to feed calcium & carbon dioxide to grow this 8 month ornamental seaweed lagoon. I so much more prefer “Natures Way” to “carbon dose”.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 31

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I reread the first page of this thread, I want to park right here. I will build a calcium reactor to feed calcium & carbon dioxide to grow this 8 month ornamental seaweed lagoon. I so much more prefer “Natures Way” to “carbon dose”.

lol

Since both CO2 and acetate are present in the ocean in large quantities, what makes CO2 addition from a tank natural and acetate addition from a bottle unnatural?

There's nothing that any reefer adds to their tank that is not acting in a similar way in the ocean. (at least as far as I have thought of).

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

Since both CO2 and acetate are present in the ocean in large quantities, what makes CO2 addition from a tank natural and acetate addition from a bottle unnatural?

There's nothing that any reefer adds to their tank that is not acting in a similar way in the ocean. (at least as far as I have thought of).

Thank you. Exactly my point. Merry Christmas, Randy.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back