A Seagrass and Deep Sand Bed Theory...

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5049.jpg

Could seagrasses be the solution to deep sand bed issues? My belief is that they could eliminate nutrient and organic buildup as they can only take in nutrients through their roots (edit: when they become too much for the bacteria and other organisms in the sand to handle). As a bonus, they also host large amounts of biodiversity on and around their blades. But maybe they are more of a trouble than they're worth. Seagrasses require VERY high lighting and trace minerals (which could be provided with freshwater root tabs). They also grow somewhat slowly and may add oxygen into DSBs through their roots (perhaps not enough to make them go aerobic though). Please tell me what you know or have to say about this topic.

This person appears to be succeeding:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005370

Last edited:
OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close.... nutrients best controlled by these guys. It's their job commissioned by God himself

url.png
Do they (I'm guessing phytoplankton) live in/draw nutrients out of the substrate? I'm pretty sure they are almost entirely limited to the water column.

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One benefit to seagrass is they would move the sand, keeping it oxygenated and thus preven h2s formation. Fwiw I have a bare bottom tank. I love the look, but the amount of dirt that accumulates weekly makes me not put it in.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's something I would like to eventually try. I snorkel the seagrass beds here in St Kitts once to twice weekly on my way out to the reefs, and they really are pretty neat. Looks like a sea of green at first, but as you focus they come alive with various fish and inverts

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same problem locating them for sale, especially the shorter species that would fit in a normal tank height. The restrictions on collection are pretty strict so I'm not sure that's going to change anytime soon. I've had a plan for an attatched low boy style tank(rubbermaid 50 gallon trough) with some mangroves along the back and something like star grass along the front with a school of psuedomugil cyanodorsalis mostly by themselves.

Maybe someday.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BaghdadBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m coming back into this from a long, long hiatus out of the hobby, but I had always planned on seagrasses in my in sump refugium. I even had my sump custom built to accommodate them, and the deep substrates that they need. I wanted to mess about with testing out miracle mud vs regular oolitic sand, so I had the sea grass compartment further divided to keep apart the two substrates. I figured, keeping it contained like this would make it easier for bed removal if it didn’t work out, especially if I used nylon screen material to line each compartment, making pouches, in essence, of each material. It won’t remove every scrap, but it’ll sure help, especially as the bed sediments mature and stick together. Then I could repurpose the compartments to shallow beds and macroalgae if the seagrasses didn’t work out, or even to mangroves if I felt like it. I had this built during the hay days of DSB tanks, and I maintained a 6” DSB in my 125 for a number of years before selling it. I never had as many issues with the 125 and nutrients as I did with my 58 which only had a 2” sand bed, but I also had blue spotted jawfish in the 125 and nothing but inverts in the 58. I’m kind of a tinkerer though, I ran a number of totally different reef tanks to test things out, with various levels of success. The hobby has come a long ways since I was active in it, but I still just really enjoy the challenge of messing with a good thing and hoping it comes out okay. :D

Attachments

• D3428A9E-2F55-40E6-B5F0-A6EFCC88605F.jpeg
    D3428A9E-2F55-40E6-B5F0-A6EFCC88605F.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 97

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back