Spock-Home.jpg

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome !!

I like pre-planning and building my own sumps.
How much room do I need for my return pump and skimmer; what water height for my skimmer; what water height for my return; then lastly how much room is left for a sock.
Then having the glass cut, siliconing and finally testing baffle integrity/flow characteristics.

Custom cut glass is pretty cheap. Just be sure to have them cut 1/16-1/8" short in total front to back and off the height to allow silicone penetration/tank flex etc.

I made a 26 long into a sump for about $60 total, and cut a 90g down to a 60g with a drain section, sock tray, skimmer section and 3-baffle bubble trap before a massive return section for less than $150 including the used 90g.

If you've got the time for planning, you can save huge money making your own.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No turning back now
Welcome to the R2R community !!!

OP
OP
Viscount

Viscount

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like pre-planning and building my own sumps...

...cut a 90g down to a 60g with a drain section, sock tray, skimmer section and 3-baffle bubble trap before a massive return section for less than $150 including the used 90g.

If you've got the time for planning, you can save huge money making your own.

Not going to lie, the thought of cutting my own glass terrifies me, and the pre-cut baffles of those kits look mighty inviting...

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The welcome threads usually die off after 2-3 days.
Lots of peeps will do a "build thread" in this area https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks.52/

Just start a new post. It's very helpful actually. If you keep at it, it's a one stop shop for old pics of your tank and a timeline for what you did when.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, should I post progress pics here or start a different thread for those?
Either way is fine, but you might enjoy starting your own build thread so that you can look back and see how far you’ve come in six months or a year.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The welcome threads usually die off after 2-3 days.
Lots of peeps will do a "build thread" in this area https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks.52/

Just start a new post. It's very helpful actually. If you keep at it, it's a one stop shop for old pics of your tank and a timeline for what you did when.

Either way is fine, but you might enjoy starting your own build thread so that you can look back and see how far you’ve come in six months or a year.

What they said. :)

Once you start your build thread, you can create a build thread banner for your account that is actually a link to your actual thread.

Back