A Show Tank in a Year?

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand my question is kind of hard to answer as it's based on opinion but I'll try to explain my train of thought.

Wanting to set up a 65 Gallon Reef tank, would be my first "real" attempt at a reef tank from scratch, all the equipment is ready to go. My only dilemma is I am planning on moving in about 12-14 months. I know the most important aspect of saltwater is patience, so I don't want to rush it, but at the same time I do want to attempt it because I know I am going to learn a lot and make mistakes so when I move I can try to save everything I want, and do a mini restart, so I am alright with that in that aspect.

My question is, without going out and buying huge colonies and paying huge money, can a somewhat "show tank" be achievable in under a year, something that looks "good", or is the tank not going to be able to shine until about the 1-year mark, so no point in starting to just shut down?

If that makes sense?

Going with live rock and sand to help speed up the process.

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly setup and establish a fantastic looking tank in 6-12 months however I wouldn't recommend trying with a move planned. Your best bet would to setup a 25-30 gal AIO lagoon to set yourself up for a larger tank after the move. This allows you to mature some rock, sand (maintain it properly and most can be reused with no issues especial!y in a short time period), grow out some frags, etc, all while learning the in and outs.

Moving anything over 40 gal is a pretty big effort.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not your first sure.
This is my old 20g 18" cube from day one to 10 months.
Pretty hard to due with 1" frags though.
20220126_162914.jpg

20221001_195433.jpg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You can certainly setup and establish a fantastic looking tank in 6-12 months however I wouldn't recommend trying with a move planned. Your best bet would to setup a 25-30 gal AIO lagoon to set yourself up for a larger tank after the move. This allows you to mature some rock, sand (maintain it properly and most can be reused with no issues especial!y in a short time period), grow out some frags, etc, all while learning the in and outs.

Moving anything over 40 gal is a pretty big effort.

This is fantastic advice, IMO.

jsc04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it. Set it up. Make mistakes. Learn. There is never the right time for anything in life. Don’t miss out by worrying if it’s the “right time”

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it can be done. You just need to pick corals that grow fast and can fill out a tank quickly. Many people may consider these "weed" corals because of how fast they can grow. Keep your parameters stable, provide good flow and light, and keep your PH elevated and you will get good growth. The nice thing about the fast growing corals is they are also generally pretty hardy/easy to acquire which will help with a tank move.

Are you planning on moving close-by or is it a several hour/days move?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its possible, but it comes down to money. The more you spend, the nicer the corals and colours will be.

Unless you want a "show tank" of green star polyps and kenya tree's,etc.... Put a couple of leather corals and they will grow to the top of your tank in a year.... But to me this is not a show tank, I wouldn't go 'wow' over seeing tank full of weedy soft coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back