A Sketchy Build Thread (fatc)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hmmm,:thinking-face:. Well with three contests currently running that have build thread bonuses, I guess I should update this,:yawning-face:. But to be honest, nothing much has changed lately. So, will this entry count?:grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Oh wait, I did make myself a switch box for my break out box.
IMG_3420.JPG

It's just another doohickey I made to make it easier for someone else (I.E. tank sitter, wife, etc...) to be able to shut down equipment if need be in an emergency. Switches 1 through 6 are programed through the Apex to shut down different groups of equipment. The switches are momentary ON when pushed down and latching ON when pulled up. The momentary comes in handy when doing maintenance. The Master Arming Switch (which completes the common/ground circuit for all 6) is there as a safety precaution in case Switch 1-6 gets accidentally bumped.
Hopefully in three months when my wife retires and we sell the last business I can have some time to do what I want. (I've been retired for almost three years now and have not had a day off yet.) Then I can quit messing around with this claptrap "experimental tank" and get serious again. Or at least I can dream about it.:sleeping-face:
Now, time to go enter some contests. Three contests for the price of one build entry, not bad.:smirking-face:
3 contests? Wait, I only see the 1...

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 contests? Wait, I only see the 1...
Here's the three that are running now, unless I'm all screwed up again.
Oh wait, I see the problem, you're not a supporter... yet. I thought for sure you would be. That's where I've scored most of my wins. Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't say that out loud. It might lower my chances of winning.:face-with-hand-over-mouth::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's the three that are running now, unless I'm all screwed up again.
Oh wait, I see the problem, you're not a supporter... yet. I thought for sure you would be. That's where I've scored most of my wins. Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't say that out loud. It might lower my chances of winning.:face-with-hand-over-mouth::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Supporter giveaways! Makes sense. I'm trying to talk my wife into becoming a Supporter or Partner Member but she thinks I spend too much time here as it is.

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supporter giveaways! Makes sense. I'm trying to talk my wife into becoming a Supporter or Partner Member but she thinks I spend too much time here as it is.
I'm sure mine thinks the same of me, but then I remind her that there is far worse things I could be involved with. Works every time.

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some more contests with "Start/Update your build thread..." bonus entries. Normally I have been slacking on these bonuses because my tank has been running on autopilot with not much new. But now I have something new to add. For those that went to the RAP in Anaheim, you may have seen this tank at the Ultum Nature display area. (Minus the clams and torch which we added.)
20230809_152337 (2).jpg

The wife wanted, so the wife bought! Now for those who have ever had kids who begged for a puppy, you know how this goes. "Oh please, oh please, oh please. I'll feed it. I'll clean up after it. I'll bathe it. I take care of it. You won't have to do a thing." Then not much later, who is actually feeding/cleaning/bathing/taking care of it?
Man, I didn't even get asked if it was okay to buy. It was done before I knew what was going on. I didn't even get one day before it was my responsibility.
Ah, but there is a silver lining, now she's just as invested as I am. (Relatively speaking, tank size wise.) And about to get even more "invested"!:grinning-squinting-face:
Once we get it set up, I ask her if she knows if it has been cycled yet. I got a deer in the headlights look and a "What does that mean?" Followed by a quick explanation of that.
After that I asked the questions,
"Do you have a heater? Gonna need one." Better start a shopping list!
"Gonna need at least a controller for the heater". Add it to the list.
"How about a protein skimmer?" Add it to the list.
" How about an ATO?" Add it to the list.
"Filter media?" Add it to the list.
"Mag cleaner?" Add it to the list.
"Where are you going to plug all this in? You only have one plug here. You'll need a power supply." Add it to the list.
"What about test kits? Well, I'll cut you some slack and let you use mine." Don't add it to the list.
Now she starts wondering what she got herself into. Welcome to reefing honey!!:face-blowing-a-kiss:
But I do admit that she has done a real good job of feeding the fish and cleaning the filter floss.
All in all, it's a pretty cool mini me tank!

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7K6A4369 e2 resized.JPG

So, it's been a little over a month since she got this and now she says it's too small. I think I've created a monster. Not only does she want a bigger tank but she thinks I need a bigger tank also! Oh well, first world problems.:kissing-face-with-closed-eyes::winking-face:

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
7K6A4369 e2 resized.JPG

So, it's been a little over a month since she got this and now she says it's too small. I think I've created a monster. Not only does she want a bigger tank but she thinks I need a bigger tank also! Oh well, first world problems.:kissing-face-with-closed-eyes::winking-face:
That thing is gorgeous!

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing is gorgeous!
Thanks! Just used my Live Aquaria gift card (August Supporter Giveaway) to order a couple of Tail Spot Blennies, one for the wife's tank and one for my sump.
Have you decided what you're going to get with yours?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! Just used my Live Aquaria gift card (August Supporter Giveaway) to order a couple of Tail Spot Blennies, one for the wife's tank and one for my sump.
Have you decided what you're going to get with yours?
Dry goods. I'm running low on frozen so I'll stock back up and get some other stuff. I was thinking of a Tang and a wrasse but figured dry goods was more necessary.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7K6A4369 e2 resized.JPG

Uh oh. We have ourselves another addict!
Told you you needed to create a separate build thread for it :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh. We have ourselves another addict!
Told you you needed to create a separate build thread for it :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Yeah, you're right. If I had a second build thread, does that mean I could double up on the bonus entries for the contest?:grinning-face-with-big-eyes: That might make up some for all the faceplant and instagrandma bonuses I miss out on.:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
How's the new tank going? Any big additions gone in yet?

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new addition for the mini me tank!
7K6A4442 e1.JPG

Went to Kauai for a week and the tank got quite green while we were away. Hopefully this tuxedo will earn his keep. Also had to add some dosing pumps to the wife's shopping list. These little tanks are a PITA when it comes to keeping parameters stable. I get all the parameters just right and the next day they are all wonky again. So you're buying the dosers honey but I'll set it up for you!

Back