A tang that dosent eat alge?

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had this tang fish for 6 months, never seen it eat algae, has brown algae but it doesn't touch it.
1000009516.jpg
it keeps nibbling on glass and rocks. tried offering sea grass as well, but it won't touch it, both green and brown

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I assume it's eating other things though - can you mention what you're feeding? Not every tank eats every algae - a picture of the tank and the algae you have would help! (looks like a nice fish)

TardWrangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had this tang fish for 6 months, never seen it eat algae, has brown algae but it doesn't touch it.
1000009516.jpg
it keeps nibbling on glass and rocks. tried offering sea grass as well, but it won't touch it, both green and brown
You offered it seagrass? you mean some sort of sheet algae or actual seagrass? This is a bristletooth tang which means they like to scrape film algae/detritus/biofilm off of substrate. You seeing it nibble on rocks and glass is what it should be doing. Just make sure it gets enough to eat and doesn’t get skinny. Offer it some nori

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You offered it seagrass? you mean some sort of sheet algae or actual seagrass? This is a bristletooth tang which means they like to scrape film algae/detritus/biofilm off of substrate. You seeing it nibble on rocks and glass is what it should be doing. Just make sure it gets enough to eat and doesn’t get skinny. Offer it some nori
I meant nori :) its not a good picture but it is what i have right now.
1000009519.jpg

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the tank tre times a day with pellets and maybee 3 times a week with frozen mysis/artemia

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best method is manual removal. Some snails astraea and turbo, and urchins will eat it. For anything to eat it you will need to remove the long flowing parts at the least. Tangs not the kole type (cant remember scientific name) may eat it fox face may eat it. In my previous life I always had a tang in the tank from the Zebrasoma or acanthurus family and the sails listed above and had little to no algae issues.

PharmrJohn

Picking Up My Trumpet Again After 35 Years!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to remove it / what eats it?
Well, if your a sea urchin fan, there are a few that should do the job. A pincushion urchin (Lytechinus variegatus) or tuxedo urchins (Mespilia globulus or Mespilia cf globulus). Now, I've never dealt with urchins, so if anyone has any experience with 'em, I would love to hear comments from those who have these in their tanks. Be aware that they can mess with an aquascape that lacks stability and can mess with coral placement.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if your a sea urchin fan, there are a few that should do the job. A pincushion urchin (Lytechinus variegatus) or tuxedo urchins (Mespilia globulus or Mespilia cf globulus). Now, I've never dealt with urchins, so if anyone has any experience with 'em, I would love to hear comments from those who have these in their tanks. Be aware that they can mess with an aquascape that lacks stability and can mess with coral placement.
Thats the reason I dont like urchins. They grab all your stuff and sometimes go rouge and eat something they shouldnt, but those will usually eat hair algae.

PharmrJohn

Picking Up My Trumpet Again After 35 Years!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the reason I dont like urchins. They grab all your stuff and sometimes go rouge and eat something they shouldnt, but those will usually eat hair algae.
Which is why I won't have one in my tank. They are effective, sure, but there is definitely the not so good side of 'em. That and if your not careful you can get a piece of the spike in your hand. That would suck.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%

Back