A thank you to Paul Baldassano for teaching reefers how to reef without cipro

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul, thank you for your years in the hobby and never advising reefers in challenge to fall back on guesstimates with powerful human meds running in short supply chains, without full courses or matched targets in place. You help by showing alternate ways to control tissue necrosis

thank you,
B.

There are ways of controlling rtn and stn in reefing that don't involve skipping the target match phase of effective antibiotics admin= plating bacterial samples on agar, at incubation with timed number of days then doing cell counts and colony isolation then matching with reference to a known antibiotic match + complete course. (not one time mass dose, we don't kill enough targets that way, we begin a gradient resistance in leftover target cells with antibiotic guessing, their strongest multiply)

Until that's done, there's no legitimate use for human med antibacterial medications, guesses that drive resistance adaptation, in reefing

We stick our arms in these tanks and paint the furniture in cross contam bacteria

Don't stick your arms in a continually- culled vat of water that only selects for the most resistant cells for the known matched targets indicated for cipro.

Keep that up a few years and your water will crawl out of your tank :)

Dosing antibiotics impacted by supply chain availability without any specific matching isn't ok and it does not work the best to control rtn.

There are examples of old reefs out there in addition to Paul's, these reefs recall a patterned method option to avoid coral malady long before cipro dosing was endorsed on a widespread scale

These frags that get infected by rtn are susceptible, genetically or caused by correctable tank design

They were in the right place, wrong time. Overriding that with a short term blanket kill, leaving a wake of unkilled bacterial cells to develop best means is opposite of wise

Why is it nano reefs have so much less incidence of uncorrectable rtn and stn, they outnumber full size home reefs I'll bet, due to size and cost. In that bulk data are trends you can use to inspect coral malady rate by gallonage divisions...tank size which in my opinion hasn't been looked at as a separate means and ways option. Nano reefs have design and handling differences that make less incidence of rtn and stn if we chart against the common pro nano or pico reef. What are they doing differently that allows this much sps to grow for ten years in a bowl and never get rtn

That's one gallon. It's coral per gallon ratio is off the charts compared to a large tank. So, find its pattern and upscale it to large tanks and you'll beat rtn without antibiotics. Make an article on that?

It's not a novelty, that's a running youtube proof on best means and ways to avoid rtn in dense old coral stands. It just happens to be in a fishbowl

Filtering research options for rtn and stn prevention to include subsets of what 1-3 gallon sps reefs have been logging for 22 years at nano-reef.com + how they reef differently than old tree stump-style hands off large tanks has value

Maritza vase reef did it without meds, in a much harder container.

Find what works in non medicine approaches, forward those best practices in articles

As an observer for what nano reefing has been doing its fair to say we don't worry about nor encounter uncontrollable rtn and stn, that must be something a different method conveys. It's not a concern for the pico reef forum at nano-reef.com, searchable 14 year forum history trove of repeating no rtn / stn events data.

We can choose to investigate in the hobby a best means practice using designs that forward bacterial competition and inherent resistance vs initial kill of target which is short- term hidden consequence reefing.

Atoll's aged and matured reef system. Very old long lived, no rtn stn due to what I see as bacterial diversity vs target kill attempts.

There are ways of dealing with stn and rtn that make cipro use never needed in the hobby: reef that way.

Consider all subsets of data seemingly immune to the condition for copyable designs before adding antibiotics to control maladies in sps corals and anemones. Those are the top two uses/ delayed consequence reasons to use cipro in reefing...they're using them to fix anemones (preserve the weakest non selected strains) and to stop rtn and stn events while maintaining the very tank designs that beget the condition.

Its not that you might need a little cipro to be an effective reefer, to prevent rtn and stn, it's that design options exist right now for you to never need it and those practices need the development

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I think Paul is able to reef twice as long in a system as Mike P, without cipro crutches:

diversity of sourced input materials

refresh rate of those sources, Paul didn’t just input living bacterial diversity fifty years ago he does it with each water change, each feeding event

Paul’s approach to sandbed design handles waste differently than other large reef tank designs, somehow less rtn is happening. We can filter by age of tank some interesting designs that don't use antibiotics in coral home production

Paul's tank gets more active exchange with competition- regulating natural bacteria, physical exchange with oceanic materials and guidance in the right way apparently, to not need cipro dosing after many years without it

There are best practices we can write articles about that won't encourage half a million online cipro doses guessed at, ordered and delivered not matched to target but just in case it might help

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I ever even mentioned Cipro or RTN in my life. My corals don't have that problem, I am not exactly sure why but being my fish never get sick, maybe it is because of the same mechanisms due to a natural system. I also never mentioned antibiotics unless it was for me with a tooth implant, knee implant or lately, shoulder implant. :anguished-face:

The longer I stay in this hobby I learn that the less medications of any sort we use, the healthier our tank will be.

Antibiotics, including all the cyano and algae "cures" spell disaster in an enclosed system and our tanks may never recover from them.

I will try to keep my reef running another 50 years, but I may need help. :astonished-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back