Organic sensitive sps?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

Question do you believe stn/rtn can come from carbon dosing for reduce nutriments or from organics based system same all for reef?m or other identicall system.
I can keep pretty all corals but systematically struggle with some (other not) and get stn/rtn but despite everything seems to be in range? The most of times they are every time the same indo colonies same as tenuis and millepora..
I have feel it is linked to carbon dosing or aminos

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are folks who report problems when organic carbon dosing. Why it mostly doesn’t happen, but sometimes may, I do not know, but it may relate to the exact species of bacteria present, and how organic carbon dosing impacts those bacteria.

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are folks who report problems when organic carbon dosing. Why it mostly doesn’t happen, but sometimes may, I do not know, but it may relate to the exact species of bacteria present, and how organic carbon dosing impacts those bacteria.
But why it impact just some species and not others?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why it impact just some species and not others?

They may harbor different bacteria. That’s certainly known to be true for other animals.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re talking about maricultured colonies… any sps coming in on import is very touchy and hard to acclimate to captive life! Hence the price tags to see on most new pieces… I’m not gonna say one way or the other carbon dosing is affecting them but I will say the survival rates aren’t the greatest with or without carbon dosing. You gotta think they spend 3 days in a box from indo to the airport where they get repackaged and already experience lots of die off and then shipped again to you or your lfs and arrive in a weekend state.. try low lighting and low flow for awhile before blasting them like they want and need.

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re talking about maricultured colonies… any sps coming in on import is very touchy and hard to acclimate to captive life! Hence the price tags to see on most new pieces… I’m not gonna say one way or the other carbon dosing is affecting them but I will say the survival rates aren’t the greatest with or without carbon dosing. You gotta think they spend 3 days in a box from indo to the airport where they get repackaged and already experience lots of die off and then shipped again to you or your lfs and arrive in a weekend state.. try low lighting and low flow for awhile before blasting them like they want and need.
Yes can be also but when they were already one or two months in a shop they should not

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes can be also but when they were already one or two months in a shop they should not
If you talk to any vendor that’s into aquaculture not a hack shop they won’t touch one for a min of 6 months after importing them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back