A twofer tank

cba191

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the whole saltwater thing and am still trying to figure stuff out.
I really want a reef tank, but I also want a frogfish. a lot of stuff I would like to have won't work with the warty angler that I want to eventually get.
As a solution, I came up with this idea.
download

The bigger tank would be a 60g (24x24x24), which would be for the primary tank. The smaller one would be 30g (24x24x12) and would be the frogfish house, but still with corals and such.

The questions I have are these. Would they be able to share a sump/refuge? Would the two types of tank require different types of filtration? Would the stand require more support? It's all 2x4 construction.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would support the center of the stand and yes you can share the same sump/refuge and the tanks can use the same filtration

OP
OP
C

cba191

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would just a central support in the back work? I want to be able to fit a pretty big (~50-60g) sump in the bottom.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would just a central support in the back work? I want to be able to fit a pretty big (~50-60g) sump in the bottom.
no center support is needed, I would put 2x4"s in the middle of the corners, if you can understand what I mean. Here is a diagram:
diy-aquarium-stand.jpg
The green board is the one I am talking about

OP
OP
C

cba191

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.
I'm thinking that I'll have two return pumps, but the fuge will only go to the big tank.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do one return, you will save on energy big time. The fuge should be attached to both tanks, that way both systems will benefit.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So get a bigger pump and split it off? Wouldn't copepods end up over running the warty's tank?
Not at all, the more pods the better. It's not like they will come pouring out or something, the population will likely be the same as the reef tank next door. The retunr pump does not need to be much, maybe about 1000 gph, ~500 gph to each tank equals a 5x turnover in the 60 gallon, and 10x in the 30 (after head height, it will lose a couple hundred gph). Be sure to drill these tanks, you will not regret that for sure. That way you can push the tank against the wall, and you will not be likely to have a leaking overflow.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking something like this.
32cfab5cd1fad05c1ffc58012bae1739.jpg
I would go more linear, a section for the drains, a section for the skimmer, then the fuge, then the return, with a bubble trap before the return, and simple baffles between the skimmer and fuge.

OP
OP
C

cba191

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all, the more pods the better. It's not like they will come pouring out or something, the population will likely be the same as the reef tank next door. The retunr pump does not need to be much, maybe about 1000 gph, ~500 gph to each tank equals a 5x turnover in the 60 gallon, and 10x in the 30 (after head height, it will lose a couple hundred gph). Be sure to drill these tanks, you will not regret that for sure. That way you can push the tank against the wall, and you will not be likely to have a leaking overflow.

cuz I'll be working with a budget, they will both be stock models with corner overflows. I just really want a frogfish, but I also want a yashi goby with his pistol, among other things.

AliciaP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never have too many pods! At night, it looks like my rock is moving I have so many that come out to play

OP
OP
C

cba191

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just like the idea of having the fuge looking all awesome when the door opens (If I have a door)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I see is access, they should all be in one row, you need to service the pump and clean the skimmer, having them in the back is a PITA

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

Back