A way to get all "the good stuff" out of live rocks? (Starfish, bristle worms and so on)

Nadiaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this may sound weird, but I would like to know if there is a way you can get the live stock out of live rocks?

The thing is, I am starting a new aquarium, and I got some great live rocks from a 2 year old aquarium with lots of starfisk, bristle worms and so on.
I had a plan of using the live rocks along with Caribsea shapes rocks, but the thing is I have a hard time getting the live rock to do any good for
my aquascaping. I really want all the living creatures in my tank as I think it is a big part of what's great about this hobby. Can I do that without hurting them?
Somehow get them out of the stones, and then transfer them with the water?

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either keep them in your sump or perhaps just keep them in the display tank for a few months while the tank gets established. The critters will spread to the new rock throughout the tank, then once the tank has matured simply remove the rock you don't want.

Last edited:

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the "How to Cure Live Rock" section here:

Curing live rock is I believe the opposite of what the op wants to do in this situation. Curing live rock will remove all the critters and die off while leaving the bacteria still in place. The op is saying they want all the stuff from the rock into their new tank so curing the rock wouldn't help with this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nadiaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curing live rock is I believe the opposite of what the op wants to do in this situation. Curing live rock will remove all the critters and die off while leaving the bacteria still in place. The op is saying they want all the stuff from the rock into their new tank so curing the rock wouldn't help with this.
Correct, I do not wish to harm anything in this process.

I do not have a sump yet. My new tank is a Red Sea Max e170, and I have plans to get the sump upgrade in time, when the tank is up and running.

I will keep the live rock, if that is the only way I can get the live stock in the tank.

The pictures are my take on an aquascape just with Caribs shape rocks and then with the live rocks. I just look quite heavy with the live rocks.

Attachments

• tempImageglFU7n.png
    tempImageglFU7n.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • tempImagedKt9U0.png
    tempImagedKt9U0.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back