A way to quiet the sump?

  • Thread starter Thread starter byronious
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

byronious

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2012
Messages
134
Reaction score
4
Location
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 g tank is up & running. Has approx 9lbs of dry rock & 20 lbs live rock, approx 75-85 lbs crushed coral and an additional 20lbs live crushed coral. Now the wait. :squigglemouth:

The only mild complaint is the noise. The most noise comes from the two drainpipes dropping water into the filter socks. What about putting filter wool fiber in each sock to dampen the splashing?

Thoughts or other suggestions please.
 
I thought of that, but how would I pull the filter socks out? They are attached to plastic frames that slide out of brackets on the sump.
 
use a pvc coupler and don't glue it... just slip the extra pipe in and then you can remove it when you need to change socks etc..:)
 
Okay I Googled PVC unions and PVC couplers. I have seen them before at the hardware store. I will try that tomorrow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new