A weird thought

Mschoolman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking about uv sterilizers today, and I remembered that my LEDs have uv lights. So I was wondering if the uv lights on my LEDs would do the same thing as a uv sterilizer.

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of, but not really.

A UV sterilizer works by messing up the DNA in a cell. This requires a pretty powerful UV light source and the cell your trying to render sterile must stay in contact with this light for quite a while. I'm not sure on the specifics of dwell time for UV lights though.

There are also different types of UV light but I don't know much about that either. I think UV-C is what's used in most UV sterilizers.

You're on the right track though. Maybe objects at the waters surface would be impacted by the UV light from your LEDs if that light was strong enough. :)

EDIT: I just remembered BRS did a great video on UV sterilizers on YouTube. Definitely worth a watch.

OP
OP
Mschoolman

Mschoolman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uv c is the bad one that gets blocked out by are atmosphere so that makes since that it's in the uv sterilizer

OP
OP
Mschoolman

Mschoolman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be bad if uv c was in my light, because I look at it all the time :). I still wonder if the light would have any affect at all?

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the light would be powerful enough to scorch DNA. Otherwise our corals and other animals would die from it I think.

I just googled the use of UV light in photosynthesis and discovered that it isn't used in the process. Interesting to note that UV light is not used in photosynthesis but so many light fixture manufacturers include UV spectrum. I wonder why?

I guess you learn something new every day right? :D

OP
OP
Mschoolman

Mschoolman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the light would be powerful enough to scorch DNA. Otherwise our corals and other animals would die from it I think.

I just googled the use of UV light in photosynthesis and discovered that it isn't used in the process. Interesting to note that UV light is not used in photosynthesis but so many light fixture manufacturers include UV spectrum. I wonder why?

I guess you learn something new every day right? :D
The uv light tricks the coral into thinking its it shallow water so it give off this pigment for protection, and the coral gives off the color that people like.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From LEDGroupBuy :
"Often misnamed as UV LEDs, these violets emit almost no radiation below 400nm (the cutoff between violet and ultraviolet) and peak at ~410nm."
I think this holds true for other Violet leds, but could be wrong..

Well, it's been a while since I was researching leds. Guess some manufacturers are now using true uv..

Last edited:
Back