A wish for 2017

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can think of any number of things here is just one for starters.

An LED unit with the following?

1/Full spectrum

2/ Controllability

3/Reasonable looks

4/ A wide fixture to reduce shading, wide angle lenses just don't do it on their own.

5/ Reasonable price.

6/ Reliability

7/ Longevity

8/ A decent looking and functional mounting system.

9/ Android control.

10/ The above should not be too much to ask.

Now some manufacturers have some of the above but I am struggling to name any that have all of them.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmmmm, that is a nice wish! :)

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech G4 or ATI Hybrid, Ho Ho Ho ;)

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Email them. They are always looking for suggestions on how to improve.

You see this is what I find myself having a problem with. Although I don't expect a manufacturer to pander to all my wishes in this case it is well known that the majority of LED manufacturers rely on lenses to spread the light. While this works to some extent it is far from perfect as most of us know. I would suggest there are sufficient reefers out there that would like a wider fixture to greatly reduce shading to make manufacturers offer such a wider unit for sale.
I often wonder do some of these manufacturers ask the reef hobbyist what he wants from an LED unit. One of the main reasons people stay with T5s for instance is for the light spread so it shouldn't be beyond any manufacturer to produce an LED that is wider with a couple of more LEDs front to back and yes it would add to the cost I know. Light spread to reduce shading is perhaps the biggest issue many LED manufacturers unable or unwilling to seriously address.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To the question on the light and shading, I'm not sure a wider fixture would reduce shading as much as we'd hope. LED's are aimed lights, the wide angle lens helps to disperse the light some, but shading us still the result. I wonder if wider and curved might be of help. Otherwise, I think a wider fixture would just mean more coverage but with the same issue of shading. ...but I may be totally wrong on these thoughts.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the question on the light and shading, I'm not sure a wider fixture would reduce shading as much as we'd hope. LED's are aimed lights, the wide angle lens helps to disperse the light some, but shading us still the result. I wonder if wider and curved might be of help. Otherwise, I think a wider fixture would just mean more coverage but with the same issue of shading. ...but I may be totally wrong on these thoughts.
Orphek are one of the manufacturers that produce a wider fixture with more LEDs front to back than most and it's claimed reduces shading compared to the spot light LED units and imO it makes sense that the more you spread out the LEDs the more you will reduce shading but it also means you need more LEDs.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a concave shaped fixture vs. the convex shaped one that EcoTech just came out with?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well because the T5 and MH reflectors are all concave shaped...

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can think of any number of things here is just one for starters.

An LED unit with the following?
1/Full spectrum
2/ Controllability
3/Reasonable looks
4/ A wide fixture to reduce shading, wide angle lenses just don't do it on their own.
5/ Reasonable price.
6/ Reliability
7/ Longevity
8/ A decent looking and functional mounting system.
9/ Android control.
10/ The above should not be too much to ask.

So...how did this wish work out for you?
In searching for the #ToysForKids2017 I came across this haha

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back