A2 Failure …. A3 On Its Way.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a complaint thread …. I got lots of life out of the A2. I have been considering replacing the A2 for some time now as it got long-in-the-tooth, but the prospect of all that reprogramming …. Ugh. Well, A2 failed late last week and seems unrecoverable, so A3 is on its way. A few general questions, if anyone can give me a bit of guidance:

1. I see that I can access the old apex configuration summary (even if the old apex is no longer able to connect to fusion). Hopefully that works as it’ll make things a lot easier.
2. I assume that the new A3 head unit will see my various modules as ‘new’? And that the order I add them back in will dictate the aquabus addresses?
3. Does any ‘programming’ reside in the modules?
4. Will, I, for example, have to start from scratch with the DOS for automatic water changes? Or can I just copy/paste the program from the config summary?
5. I still use the WXM to control my vortech pumps, will the pumps still be linked to the WXM, or do I have to re-pair them? I have a NIB WXM that I bought when it got discontinued because my other unit is OLD …. One of the black modules. Perhaps a good time to use the replacement.
6. How about the I/O breakout boxes? I assume that once I connect them in I’ll have to rename the various floats?

Perhaps an opportunity to simplify things a bit. There are modules I have that just don’t do all that much useful.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 2017 I replaced my original classic with the A2 and the reprogramming was a massive PITA. I have allowed my system to get more complicated since then, so anticipating the same this time.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the reprogramming wasn't all that bad ... even if, at my age, one begins to suspect technology has passed you by :). Having the configuration summary PDF made things MUCH easier. Neptune support was also very helpful. I also used the transition to simplify my setup a bit. I now have 20 modules rather than 25 LOL.

Interestingly, the advice to swap out the microSD card in the A2 did return it to proper function - but programming gets lost so if I have to redo it all I figured I might as well upgrade to the A3.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back