AA article on lighting spectrum and coral growth

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I hand it out like candy on halloween.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did I get out of this? Not much, other than we probably place too much emphasis on lighting options. What question did this article answer? Many spectrums grow coral?

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was presenting this just for a FYI.

My personal take away is that the PAR was too low. 128 is pretty low for SPS, although the flow seemed good in my opinion.

Although I wouldn't expect to see a huge difference in growth with spectrums (which this shows), there is plenty of research that shows feeding is far more important.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, PAR seems low for what we strive for in the hobby. There is a lot of debate and sometimes argument on spectrum that extends into light source. Perhaps the article puts that to rest? Idk? Again though, I think it shows the spectrum we choose has more to do with personal preference than healthy coral, but I honestly don't know enough about study design to know how to truly interpret these results.
I know PAR has been "studied." Can anyone provide a head to head prospective trial where a species was grown over time at the same spectrum but the only variable was PAR? Like 100 vs 150 vs 200, etc.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back