Lighting or Spectrum issue??

AquaBert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - noob here with a lighting question.

So I’ve had my tank for over a year. Some soft corals are growing well. Expect my leather he’s been the same size for 8 months lol. Actually they are all doing very well. However, my LPS are struggling. I have 7 different LPS, most are Duncan’s and a couple of candy cane corals.

Apparently these grow quickly. However, they have not grown at all in a year.

Parameters are within normal ranges. PO4, Nitrates, Alk, Mag, calcium are all normal. Sal is 1.24…temp 77-78. I’ll also dose trace once a week. My parameters literally NEVER CHANGE. I also have a mini skimmer and refugium with chaeto.

I am wondering if my lighting has anything to do with it. I have an evo5 and upgraded the lighting. Nothing fancy but it has 48 led/ half are white/green, half blue. Allows a timer so morning light for 2 hours and then full spectrum for 6, down to blue for another 3. No algae grows other than some basic glass algae.

I notice that most reefers have a blue tinge to their tanks during full spectrum. Mine, although placed of 50/50 strength, appears to be pretty white during the full spectrum. I took par readings:

Top 1/3 sits at 150-350 range, most of rock at this level is 150-225 range.
Middle 3rd : 75-150 range (all LPS here)
Bottom 3rd: 50-75 range (all mushrooms here)

Should I keep the white/green spectrum at 50% and dial up the blue to maybe 75%?!

I also feel reef roids and LPS pellets. Not sure why everything BUT the LPS are growing.

Oddly enough, I also have a purple gorgonian that stretches from sand bed to top 3rd of tank and is doing amazing. Growth all over lol. I have a lawnmower, urchin, and clown but they don’t bother the corals.

Thanks!! I hope I have enough clues for someone to help me!!

OP
OP
A

AquaBert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0518.jpeg
IMG_0519.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, lighting is more than twice as important than any parameter. I would rather have the best lighting and so-so water parameters than so-so lighting and rock solid parameters. The light is the only sure thing that gets energy to photosynthetic corals.

150-300 PAR for those corals is enough. I have no idea if those diodes are quality, though. Those diode counts and total of 20w look more like a FO or planted light than a reef light, but is still should grow corals fine even if they don't look great.

That blueish tint is to make somewhat ugly corals look better. Good looking corals don't need heavy blue to look good.

If light quality and quantity is solid and so is PAR, then my next question is if the corals are colorful at all. For example, there are hammers that just look dull and there is no way to make them look better whereas some hammers just look great under anything. Usually the cheaper the corals, the more dull that they area. Even with candy canes, the really bright ones with high contrast usually cost a bit more... but most of the generic ones should still shine bright green.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back