aarbutina 90 gallon Build

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings fellow reefers. I was doing some upgrades on my tank this weekend and realized I didn't have any place to to talk about them so I figured it was about time that I start a build thread. However I am going to have to play a bit of catch up since my tank has been running to a while.

Before I dive into details on my current tank built I think it might be nice to give a bit of background information on myself and my tanks (both successful and unsuccessful) that I have had in the past.

My name is Andrew, I am from the suburbs of Philadelphia, and I have been keeping fish for as long as I can remember.

The first tank that I can remember in my house as a fresh water tank that had bass and sunfish in it that my parent and I caught. That was probably when I was around 4 or 5 years old. The most distinct memory I have of that tank was me sticking my finger in the tank and getting bitten by one of the fish. Flashing forward a couple years I got the first tank of my own that was a 10 gallon hex that was filled with neon tetras, mollies, and all your other favorite fresh water tropical species. I maintained a variety of fresh was tanks through most of my childhood up until I left of college. Following college I had a small 10 gallon tank with 3 Figure 8 puffers in it. You know what was fun about that tank.... when you don't feed your puffer enough hard shelled food to keep their teeth from over growing and you have to catch them, anesthetize them (with clove oil), and then cut their teeth with a pair of bone clippers, and then wait for them to wake up before putting them back in the tank.... that is what was fun about that tank.

Somewhere around 2001 or 2002 I purchased one of the original JBJ nano cubes and thus started my foray into reef keeping. As a lot of folks were doing back that I ripped out the stock lighting and retrofitted it with a whopping 54 watts of power compact lighting. It was a real beast to be sure (LOL). Unfortunately I can't seem to find any photos of that tank hanging around. If I ever come across some I will be sure to update this post.

My next tank was a SPS dominant 15 gallon nano (without a sump) that I would say that I over engineered a bit. The tank was lit with a 250 watt metal halide. Water movement was provided a mag drive 5 attached to a Oceans motions squirt (who remembers those?) operated in a closed loop. At some point I also added some additional flow with 2 maxi jets with prop mods. Filtration was provided by a HoB CPR BakPak skimmer.
gallery_15078_3_1356252179_13093.jpg

gallery_15078_3_1356252179_13126-2.jpg

gallery_15078_3_1356252234_20044.jpg

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

Now one thing that may jump out at some people about this tank is the rather large T. giga, that needless to say was the centerpiece of that tank. I picked that clam up for $20 when it was just a couple inches across and some how i managed to grow it up to a pretty decent size in just a 15 gallon tank, with zero dosing, and not what I would call regular water changes. I don't know how it was done but something was working.

IMG_0683.JPG

Eventually, for some reason I decided to take everything that was working and then upgrade to a 55 gallon reef ready tank. (To be continued)

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 15 gallon was broken down and a contents was transferred over to the new tank. The tank was a 55 gallon reef ready (when you could still buy those). The sump consisted of 2 10 gallon tanks, one housed the return pump and skimmer (Bubble Magns NAC6) and the other was a small fuge. The tanks was lite with a 4 bulb Aquatic Life T5 fixture.
DSCF0861.JPG

Eventually I updated the flow with a single Ecotech MP40 and then added another down the line. While the tank wasn't that impressive and never really took off, I was able to successfully grow SPS and my clams continued to grow. The T. gig eventually grew so large it was almost touching the front and back glass of the tank.
IMG_2293.JPG

That's when things went bad.... the tank got invested with majano anemones. They literally covered almost every available surface.

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

They were literally every where.... including all over the shell of my prized T. giga. Try as I might I couldn't get rid of them. I tried all the usual techniques, including injecting them with kalk. I even purchased one of those Majano Wanss that melted then by hitting them with an electric shock...I still couldn't get rid of them.

Eventually they started stinging the clam, worked their way under the mantle, and killed ultimately killed it... what a shame.... it was terrible. What makes it even worst was shortly after the T. giga passed I was able to get my hands on a bristletail filefish that loved the taste of manajos. That thing completely wiped them out of the tank.

Unfortunately (again) once the rocks were clean it gave the grape caulerpa a perfect surface to grab a hold to, and again I had yet another plague on my hands. I would remove buckets full of it at a time, but the roots remained in the rocks and it would just grow back over and over again. Eventually I gave up and stopped pulling the algae out. That's when something actually good happened. The caulerpa continued grow and fill the entire water column and the caulerpa that was on the rocks released since it wasn't getting enough light. All I had to do then was scoop out the mat of algae on the surface of the water and it was gone, the tank was algae free (save for the bubble algae seen in the photo).

IMG_3851.JPG

I decided that it was time to get this tank back online again. I replaced the bubs, fixed the moon light LEDs that burned out, bought a reef link so I could have more control over my vortechs and just did some general work that you do to get a neglected tank running again. I also added this nice background that I picked up from the folks at Universal rock.

IMG_4041.JPG

Not long after that upgrade disaster struck again..... one of the bottom seals on the tank gave out and the tanks started leaking. I think the silicon just wasn't up for the wave motion that I had going with the Vortechs.

And that was the end of that tank...

IMG_4068.JPG

But from that ashes of one tank the next tank rose..... to be continued (finally at the current 90 gallon).

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just rewatching the video of the break down of the 55 gallon and realized I forgot to mention that when I restarted that tank after the caulerpa outbreak that I had upgraded my lighting to 3 Ecotech Gen 4 XR15Pros.

OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that we are all caught up on the past, I can start filling you in on what I am currently working with. Here is a basic run down on the system as it stands today:

90 gallon Marineland RR glass display tank
Marineland Stand and Canopy
30 gallon sump divided into 3 section (Skimmer, return, and fuge)

Water Movement:
Ecotech Vectra M1 return pump
2x Ecotech Vortech MP40 QuiteDrives

Lighting:
4x Exotech XR15Pro Gen 4

Protein Skimmer:
Skimz Monzter SM161

Extras:
Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite
Digital Aquatics ATO (with Bulk Reef Supply 50 mL/min top off doser)
Trigger Systems ATO 10 Gallon Reservoir
Bulk Reef Supply 1.1 ml/min dosing pumps (for BRS Two Part)
500 watt Finnex TH Deluxe Titanium Heating Element (controlled by Reef Keeper)
BRS Biopellet Reactor
BRS Mini Carbon Reactor

The sump was constructed from a standard 30 gallon glass tank with custom cut glass baffles.
The skimmer drops in the chamber on the right. The return pump is in the middle and the fuge is on the left. The fuge is fed off a t'd off line from the return pump and then passively drops back into the return section.

IMG_4066.JPG

One of the reason I when with the 90 is that it could basically drop in the same location as my old 55 gallon. I live in a older house with radiator so I have limited options on what walls I can place a tank.

IMG_4045.JPG

IMG_4052.JPG

The first think I needed to do was transfer that custom background that I had made for the 55. Due the the extra height of the 90 I had to commit to going with a deep sand bed to make up the difference. Ultimately I would like to get a jawfish into the tank so a DSB is just fine with me.

IMG_4216.JPG

To be continued (Stay tuned)...

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jackson. The tank has been running since the beginning of February so I am just trying to catch up on the backlog of build picture I have as I have some extra time to do some posting. I am trying to stay true to the spirit of a build log before I start posting current information.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW! Sorry to see the majano apocalypse hit your tank. Looking forward to your updates on what's gone on since.

OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose now is as good a time as any to share some of the behind the scenes bits and pieces. I forgot to take many pictures of the equipment below the tank as I was installing in, so I took some shots recently just to share.

Here you see the drivers for the MP40s and Vectra M1 as well as the control unit of my digital aquatics reef keeper lite. You will notice a little bit of salt spray below the ecotech drivers. That is there as a result of a skimmer over flow that happened while I was travelling a couple months back. The water from the overflowing skimmer filled the air silencer and then skimmer stopped producing bubbles and just started spraying water all over the underside of the tank. Thankfully I has everything running on an arc/ground fault interrupter outlet or my house might be burned down right now.

IMG_5122.JPG

Just inside the cabinet i built a false all that all my powerstrips, porwerpacks, and dosers mount on. There is space behind it to run most of the cord and keep things fairly cleaned up (though from this picture it is difficult to tell).

IMG_5123.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manifold with running Biopellet and carbon reactor

full

Skimmer In action

full

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been almost 2 years since I updated this thread, and 2.5 years since I first put water into this tank. You know what they say, time flies when you are having fun.

What better time than now to do a small update.

First let me start off by updating the basics/equipment list:

90 gallon Marineland RR glass display tank​
Marineland Stand and Canopy​
30 gallon sump divided into 3 section (Skimmer, return, and fuge)​
Water Movement:​
Ecotech Vectra M1 return pump​
2x Ecotech Vortech MP40 QuiteDrives​
Lighting:​
4x Exotech XR15Pro Gen 4​
2x ATI Coral+ 4 ft T5 bulbs
Protein Skimmer:​
Skimz Monzter SM161​
Controller(s):​
Neptune Systems Apex​
Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite​
Extras:​
Neptune Systems Trident
Neptune Systems ATK
Digital Aquatics ATO (with Bulk Reef Supply 50 mL/min top off doser)
Trigger Systems ATO 10 Gallon Reservoir​
Bulk Reef Supply 1.1 ml/min dosing pumps (for BRS Two Part)​
Kamoer X1 (for Mg)
Jebao DP-2 (for Acropower and EasySPS Evo Gel)
500 watt Finnex TH Deluxe Titanium Heating Element (controlled by Reef Keeper)​
BRS Biopellet Reactor
BRS Mini Carbon Reactor​
I have highlighted in red changes that have been made by either adding or removing equipment.

Over the past two years the tank has certainly had its share of ups and down, and I think it is safe to say that it has more downs than ups. I have struggled to keep SPS and other sensitive corals alive. But in the few months I would say that I have hit a milestone and things appear to be heading in the right direction. SPS that had been mostly dormant are starting to grow like weeds. Fingers crossed that this trend continues.

While it is difficult to say for sure what cause the sudden shift, i think it comes down to one word.... stability. While the maturity of the tank has a lot to do with stability from a biological/microbial sense from a chemical sense I would like to give a big shout out to the folks at Neptune Systems. Back in May i was lucky enough to score a trident (on my birthday no less), and the ability to monitor and adjust my Alk, Ca, and Mg on such a frequent basis made a word of difference in my opinion.

For now I will close with a not so great FTS in which the majority of my fish are hiding (thanks guys) and a couple other shots

Tank.jpg

51884E40-BD25-41BB-A289-38F804CE5DAA.jpeg

FA531E7F-AF16-441F-B34B-9CD9779E10B2.jpeg

7E850C4B-D58F-4194-8494-AD3CB14E708E.jpeg

4EF2AC5E-A6BA-4EF2-B7F5-D1DAD83A2A66.jpeg

EE70B728-49E3-4537-A7FC-909C18941ED5.jpeg

796B0601-CB53-43FB-BEB8-8CD17E542598.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I did a big Xenia harvest yesterday. I pretty much pulled everything that was down in the lower left front corner. This was a long over due activity, and now I have so much room for activities.

OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been 47 days since my last update. Unfortunately the couple of patches of bryopsis visible in those photos have really taken hold of the tank and has spread like wild fire. Yesterday I dosed the tank with FluxRx to try to wipe it out and I figured I would try to document the process over the next few days. So let’s get this started...

1 day
IMG_9424.jpg

2 days
IMG_9426.jpg

3 days
IMG_9435.jpg

4 days
IMG_9447.jpg

5 days
IMG_9456.jpg

6 days
IMG_9463.jpg

7days
IMG_9468.jpg

8 days
IMG_9470.jpg

9 days
IMG_9479.jpg

10days
IMG_9487.jpg

11days
IMG_9496.jpg

12 days
IMG_9501.jpg

13 days
IMG_9510.jpg

14 days
IMG_9515.jpg

1 day
IMG_9425.jpg

2 days
IMG_9427.jpg

3 days
IMG_9436.jpg

4 days
IMG_9448.jpg

5 days
IMG_9457.jpg

6 days
IMG_9464.jpg

7 days
IMG_9469.jpg

8 days
IMG_9478.jpg

9 days
IMG_9480.jpg

10 days
IMG_9488.jpg

11days
IMG_9497.jpg

12 days
IMG_9502.jpg

13 days
IMG_9511.jpg

14 days
IMG_9516.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 day of treatment with FluxRX done livestock in the tank is showing visible signs of stress. However I have noticed that both Alkalinity and Calcium levels have been increasing over those three days. Prior to stating this the treatment I was achieving very stable levels of both of these elements for months with a very consistent dosing schedule. Since starting FluxRX I have seen Alkalinity raise at a rate of approximately 0.1 dKh per day and CA levels raise at approximately 5 ppm per day (while maintaining my previous dosing regiment). While this does not surprise me it does make me wonder if this decreased consumption of Alk and CA May be responsible of some of the livestock losses that others have seen while preforming this treatment. It could very well be possible that the damage done to the livestock wasn’t due to the medication but could have been do to a sudden shift in alkalinity levels. Just a thought.

94E73949-382E-4740-9B6A-3B9CF23D4084.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 day into the treatment and I think the die off of the bryopsis is well underway. So far still no signs of stress from any of the tanks inhabitants.

OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 days in things are continuing to look good from a dying bryopisis standpoint. Shouldn’t take too much longer now for this to be a thing of the past.

OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 9 days significant improvements can be seen. Still no signs of stress in any livestock.

I have updated all the photos, after editing them a bit better so that the differences can really be seen.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back