OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402658368.126558.jpg

Recent FTS. Still working on the left hand side, but it's close to done.

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice 29 cube. i have one but not running now. I ran one for 4 years and loved it. The question about the tunze 9002 yes it will fit fine but you need the upgrade cup. The stock cup wont fit. I ran the tunze and media basket in the middle chamber but wanted to use the middle chamber for fuge. Never did. I have an 8g bio now and love it but miss my 29. such a simple setup that works so well. I could grow anything in mine

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I just wanted to add. Watch your xenias. That was the downfall of my 29. They started dropping babys everywhere. Some will say if you keep them on an island they will be fine but I did that and pieces would drop and get behind the rock work and all the sudden I had it everywhere

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I just wanted to add. Watch your xenias. That was the downfall of my 29. They started dropping babys everywhere. Some will say if you keep them on an island they will be fine but I did that and pieces would drop and get behind the rock work and all the sudden I had it everywhere

I am pretty good about trimming them. I have had several "bushes" in the last year and I clean out areas now and then. Right now I have them pretty isolated and I have a pretty decent technique for getting them off the rock when they do crop up.

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a few new additions and have redecorated a bit.

These palys were sold as Blue Agaves but I don’t think that’s right. The zoas underneath I don’t have a name for, but when I got them they were tiny. They have gotten about 2x as big now and are finally spreading. Below is my pink rock flower nem and to the right is our sun coral. Green blastomussa in the background along with some Scarface Zoas, Daisy Polyps, and Oxides. At the left edge is some tubipora musica.

2014-08-27 18.46.05.jpg

New Rainbow Acan Lord with teal, purple, gold & orange. Gorgeous!

2014-08-27 18.43.30.jpg

I swapped the location of the sun coral and the Dragon Soul Favia and he seems much happier now. He’s now tucked up against the Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas and the Devil’s Armor Palys. Purple Hornet Zoas and Green Button Polyps are in the background:

2014-08-23 19.50.32.jpg

My Forest Fire Montipora Digitata is continuing to grow and spike. I love this piece. Check out those polyps!

2014-08-23 18.10.23.jpg

I have trimmed these Oxide Zoas significantly at least 3-4 times now. They grow like gang-busters in my tank. I am hopeful the Emerald on Fire Zoas I put in the middle will be able to catch up at some point. And that’s a Superman Blastomussa (blastomussa merletti) on the right.

2014-07-19 09.59.59.jpg

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking cube. I just filled up a 29G Biocube Labor Day weekend. This will be my first SW tank and love the inspiration and ideas that your tank gives.

What type and quantity of snails do you have? I noticed quite a few in the Acan picture. I purchased a small package of ceriths, nassarius, and nerites from reefcleaners.org as I didn't want them to starve as all I have so far is diatoms in my 1 1/2 week old tank.

Thanks for all the great pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about quantities, but I have a lot of stuff from reefcleaners. I like the dwarf cerinths, zigzag periwinkles, and dwarf planaxis. I also have a few bumblebee snails and a wide variety of nassarius and turbos.

Then there's the hermits: a bunch of blue legs and a single red.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I received my snails yesterday and am very happy so far. I just bought a 20G package from reefcleaners to start.

Can't decide on if I'll add hermits or not. Definitely would like to get a cleaner shrimp.

newatsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your detailed response. Very informative. Was curious on your feeding regimen for your corals. What is your technique? Your coral looks very vibrant.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my Nerite snails huddle up in the upper left hand corner of my tank and hang out in the third chamber (pump/sterilizer). Is this normal? One of the Nerites even escaped through the electrical cord opening.

I really like the Nassarius and the Dwarf Cerith snails.

Step Johns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greating looking tank. I also have a biocube 29 so this is some great inspiration to try and make mine look even half as nice as yours. What sort of tank maintaince do you do on it? Such as water changes or dosing?

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your detailed response. Very informative. Was curious on your feeding regimen for your corals. What is your technique? Your coral looks very vibrant.

Sure thing.

I feed 2-3 times a week. We have a Mandarin Dragonette, so I usually supplement the live pods with Nutrimar Ova and bottled pods. I target feed the blastomussa, sun coral, and leptastrea too. I will occasionally target the SPS and others with Coral Accel.

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my Nerite snails huddle up in the upper left hand corner of my tank and hang out in the third chamber (pump/sterilizer). Is this normal? One of the Nerites even escaped through the electrical cord opening.

My Florida Nerites seem to escape more. The grouping is common. Just throw them back in when they get out.

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greating looking tank. I also have a biocube 29 so this is some great inspiration to try and make mine look even half as nice as yours. What sort of tank maintaince do you do on it? Such as water changes or dosing?

I do a 10 gallon water change about every 2 weeks with Reef Crystals and once a month I take everything out of the back and scrub it down with a toothbrush before vacuuming. I rarely vacuum the display area, but I have a pretty deep sandbed.

I dose for alkalinity and occasionally pH, but that’s about it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back