Ab+ with NeoPhos and NeoNitro

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My question is about the relationship between ab+, nitrates and phosphates, and coral health.

Ive been using NeoPhos and NeoNitro daily to keep my nutrients above zero for months. It’s always been a fine line between having enough nutrients for corals and to avoid Cyano/Dinos, while not too much to avoid gha.

Lately I’ve been using Red Sea ab+ and have had great results with my coral growth and appearance. However, gha is coming back with a vengeance. I’ve been trying to keep phosphates above 0 and nitrates around 10 using NeoPhos and neonitro.

While using ab+, do I still need to dose nutrients to keep those numbers in range? Or is the AB+ feeding the corals enough, and my N&P dosing is just fueling algae?

Tank is 3 years old but 6 months in my care. I use Hanna for all tests.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So based on coral needs, dosing phosphates and ab+ wouldn’t have any overlap, but ab+ and neonitro would overlap.

So corals won’t thrive on ab+ alone if phosphates are reading 0. Assuming gha is outcompeting corals for the P generated by fish and excess food?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So corals won’t thrive on ab+ alone if phosphates are reading 0. Assuming gha is outcompeting corals for the P generated by fish and excess food?

I don’t know if there is an unlisted phosphate ingredient in Ab+, but the answer to the question above is yes, they won’t thrive with undetectable phosphate unless they get a lot of particulate foods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back