Abnormal swimming behavior

  • Thread starter Thread starter PicaGaG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PicaGaG

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2026
Messages
13
Reaction score
10
Location
600 State Dr Exposition Park, 洛杉磯, CA
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me.
English isn't my first language, I used a translator for these messages, so they might not be entirely accurate.


Since yesterday, my flagfin has been swimming rapidly back and forth along the sides of the tank. My initial thought was that it could be parasites or overstress.

I gave it a freshwater dip and ruled out Neobenedenia. What could be the cause?
I hope the video uploaded correctly.



 

I see a healthy and active fish here and tank is very clean and suggests it is seeing its reflection and trailing back and forth not abnormal. As FW dips are stressful to fish, refrain from doing this unless absolutely necessary
 
As FW dips are stressful to fish, refrain from doing this unless absolutely necessary
"Thanks, but he's never done this before. He suddenly started swimming back and forth really fast, when he used to be so calm. I'm a bit concerned the new fish may have brought in parasites."
 
"Thanks, but he's never done this before. He suddenly started swimming back and forth really fast, when he used to be so calm. I'm a bit concerned the new fish may have brought in parasites."

I call that “pacing” similar to a tiger in a cage. It seems to be stress related, but can also be a learned behavior.

Is the fish still feeding normally?
 
I call that “pacing” similar to a tiger in a cage. It seems to be stress related, but can also be a learned behavior.

Is the fish still feeding normally?
He chases food just like before and shows no abnormalities in this regard.

He's the largest in the tank — the others are at least 1.5 inches smaller than him.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new