About to buy my first SLR camera.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2013
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
1,647
Location
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into getting my first ever SLR camera. The one that I have the chance to get from someone is a Nikon D40 (link below).
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000KJQ1DG

The price I will be getting the camera for is a considerable amount less than that as of course it is used, but still in great condition. The camera I have been using is a Canon Power Shot elph 100HS. It's just a point and shoot compact camera, but has done pretty well. I'm sure I have a learning curve ahead of me in figuring out everything. Just wondering is there are and users out there that use or have used a Nikon D40 for their aquariums or anything for that matter. Appears to have a good rating and is supposedly a good DSR for people learning to use one.
 
Its 6.1 mp. Dont waste your money unless you are getting it for $50 or less. Just my .02 you can get an old d60 slr thats 10mp used for $150 with lenses, extra batteries and a case on sites like Craigslist or even other forums
 
I have to agree save that money and put it into a much newer model 12mp or higher in my opinion.
I have older Canon EOS Rebel XSI. At 12mp it does a fine job but the lens also has a lot to do with it.
 
I get photos like this with my cellphone lol.
20161122_155014.jpg
20161122_155010.jpg
20161113_210228.jpg


I guess what really matters is what you are trying to accomplish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new