About to Quit

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much water change. Definitely slow that down to no more than 10% per week. Unless you can confirm a contaminant or excess nutrients etc...Parameters look fine. Do the QT parameters match the DT?

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be too little light. But I'm not sure. Get some soft corals in there and see how they do. No fish could also be an issue. Tank does look super super clean. Could still just need more time to mature. My tank is finally starting to look nice, took almost 2 years
2x AI Primes on a 38 gallon is fine.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see many fish in the pics, any fish in the tank to help add nutrients? Sometimes low nitrate and phosphate can kill corals, especially in a very new tank
My phosphate was high at 0.07 before I did my water changes. I have a watchman goby, neon goby, and two pistol shrimp.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate was high at 0.07 before I did my water changes. I have a watchman goby, neon goby, and two pistol shrimp.
very low stocking then, I would even add 2 more fish so the tank can stabilize more before attempting corals... also if they were doing better in qt, move them back to the qt tank until the dt is ready for the corals

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much water change. Definitely slow that down to no more than 10% per week. Unless you can confirm a contaminant or excess nutrients etc...Parameters look fine. Do the QT parameters match the DT?
I hadn't been doing more than about 10% water changes each week prior to the first time I added my corals. They literally all still went downhill that time.

My phosphate was high before I did the changes and I also had been dosing Prime prior to doing the water changes because I couldn't figure out why the heck my corals were dying the first time I moved them in. I did the water changes to try and start with a clean(er) slate without the Prime but clearly that isn't working.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be too little light. But I'm not sure. Get some soft corals in there and see how they do. No fish could also be an issue. Tank does look super super clean. Could still just need more time to mature. My tank is finally starting to look nice, took almost 2 years
I have 2 fish and 2 pistol shrimp. I do have soft coral in there, the clove polyps that haven't opened in 2.5 weeks.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very low stocking then, I would even add 2 more fish so the tank can stabilize more before attempting corals... also if they were doing better in qt, move them back to the qt tank until the dt is ready for the corals
I just seriously cannot understand how this tank is older than my little QT and not ready for coral. No comprende. I am so confused.

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please understand your trying to do something that is very difficult and it does take time. I've attached a pic of my tank only to point out how dark the rock is and how seasoned everything is it took almost two years from setup to where I'm at right now, and I might add I just lost a coral last Wednesday. I also would like to point out that this is a 150 gal tank with a 40 gallon sump which gives me about 150 gals of water to work with. More water is much more forgiving than less. So your tank is really challenging to establish and maintain. My best advice would be for you to stop and allow tank to mature. If you haven't introduced fish or a clean up crew yet, which I don't see in pics, then you need to provide some sort of nutrients to establish healthy parameters to grow coral. Again, it's hard waiting however, as the saying goes in this hobby, nothing happens quick that is good in reefing!

Tank.jpg
Tank.jpg

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were they in your QT for? They might have been headed towards a decline already and the tank swap had nothing to do with it.

When you swap them back, do they recover? Or maybe you haven't tried this yet.
Yes, the last time I tried the transfer, I gave them like 2 days in my display before I freaked and put them all back in QT. All but the cloves and the platygyra recovered really well.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marine pure leaches aluminum.
I replaced all of my blocks with seachem matrix.
haven't lost a single coral since.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please understand your trying to do something that is very difficult and it does take time. I've attached a pic of my tank only to point out how dark the rock is and how seasoned everything is it took almost two years from setup to where I'm at right now, and I might add I just lost a coral last Wednesday. I also would like to point out that this is a 150 gal tank with a 40 gallon sump which gives me about 150 gals of water to work with. More water is much more forgiving than less. So your tank is really challenging to establish and maintain. My best advice would be for you to stop and allow tank to mature. If you haven't introduced fish or a clean up crew yet, which I don't see in pics, then you need to provide some sort of nutrients to establish healthy parameters to grow coral. Again, it's hard waiting however, as the saying goes in this hobby, nothing happens quick that is good in reefing!

Tank.jpg
Tank.jpg
I understand the time thing and I'm very patient. I have two gobies and two pistol shrimp in my display. I had honestly figured since my display was 3 months old and my QT where my corals were doing so well was only a month and a half old, they would be fine making the move.

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

.07 is not "high" and is not causing your issues. AI primes are not strong enough that you should need start at 15% intensity. I would at least start at 50% for acclimation. You probably don't even need the acclimation mode at the intensity you will be running based on your schedule.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just seriously cannot understand how this tank is older than my little QT and not ready for coral. No comprende. I am so confused.
Bacterial colonization is impossible to predict on a timeline in different size tanks even with similar things added. Without a lab tested bacterial profile and icp tests its hard to say about maturation of any system. We use time of like a year for stabilization because it is just easier to say a tank has stabilized at that point although it may have been stable a few months earlier

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back