About to Quit

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so glad it is helping! I just wish we could figure out what the source of the contamination was… but I’m pretty positive it was either the rocks or the sand at this point.

Thank you for following along! Looking forward to seeing your build thread when you get started!
In the interest of *science* I would be very interested to find out whether that copper filter would turn blue in the QT tank as well.

You have been doing an amazing job being empirical in your troubleshooting and exploring all possibilities. Im also personally impressed that you've kept your head in responding to some of the less than helpful replies and suggestions coming from people who clearly hadn't read the whole thing, as they'd already been addressed. I kept thinking oh man, bad vibes in here, I really hope she doesn't stop trying. You will figure it out im sure, and the longer you dont the more valuable this thread becomes to newbies like me. Finding out what more of what it ISNT is almost better than finding out what it IS to newbs like me. Big appreciate!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the interest of *science* I would be very interested to find out whether that copper filter would turn blue in the QT tank as well.

You have been doing an amazing job being empirical in your troubleshooting and exploring all possibilities. Im also personally impressed that you've kept your head in responding to some of the less than helpful replies and suggestions coming from people who clearly hadn't read the whole thing, as they'd already been addressed. I kept thinking oh man, bad vibes in here, I really hope she doesn't stop trying. You will figure it out im sure, and the longer you dont the more valuable this thread becomes to newbies like me. Finding out what more of what it ISNT is almost better than finding out what it IS to newbs like me. Big appreciate!
Thank you for your kind words!

I actually do have one of these Poly-Filters running in my QT as well because the packaging says they remove all forms of phosphates and I am having major cyano issues in that tank. I need to do a water change on it to vacuum out the cyano, so I will let you know what the filter looks like as soon as I get a moment to check! :D

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, I just checked the poly-filter in my QT, and it looks like it is the ‘light tan’ color indicating it is removing organic wastes (exactly what I wanted it to do), but also a great idea to check if the metals are present in the QT, so thank you for the suggestion!

8B3215B1-B0F0-474A-8A07-1446E04A159F.jpeg

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update today:

It has been just under a week and a half since I added the CupriSorb and the poly-filter to the tank. This far, the tank has literally turned into a swamp. It is sooooo green and the cyano has definitely taken hold. I really hope I will be able to get rid of this stuff when the time comes.

The poly-filter is definitely getting darker. The CupriSorb still doesn’t seem to have changed colors, but still think that is because the Poly-Filter is removing anything that needs to be removed before it reaches the CupriSorb. I will pull the bag out and

At this point, I am wondering if I should stir up my sand bed just in case the contamination is in the sand bed. I am so afraid to touch anything in this tank because I’m terrified of setting off a potential nuke. I am thinking I will continue with the Poly-Filters for a few months until I am 100% sure the tank is safe and good to go and the filters only turn brown indicating organic waste removal rather than metals.

Anyway, here are the latest photos. I am ordering the next ICP tonight and will be sending it off Thursday so I can hopefully have my results again by Tuesday or Thursday.

1086C876-48D2-4FE8-A704-E23D043FEC1B.jpeg

177D9E9F-BE43-4391-B8EE-F87FB451994E.jpeg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update today:

It has been just under a week and a half since I added the CupriSorb and the poly-filter to the tank. This far, the tank has literally turned into a swamp. It is sooooo green and the cyano has definitely taken hold. I really hope I will be able to get rid of this stuff when the time comes.

The poly-filter is definitely getting darker. The CupriSorb still doesn’t seem to have changed colors, but still think that is because the Poly-Filter is removing anything that needs to be removed before it reaches the CupriSorb. I will pull the bag out and

At this point, I am wondering if I should stir up my sand bed just in case the contamination is in the sand bed. I am so afraid to touch anything in this tank because I’m terrified of setting off a potential nuke. I am thinking I will continue with the Poly-Filters for a few months until I am 100% sure the tank is safe and good to go and the filters only turn brown indicating organic waste removal rather than metals.

Anyway, here are the latest photos. I am ordering the next ICP tonight and will be sending it off Thursday so I can hopefully have my results again by Tuesday or Thursday.

Green might not be the colour we all look for .
but from the new white looking rocks It’s a good thing ……

this looks like the uglies

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update today:

Got a little coralline going on also? Pink spots on bottom right of left arch. The dragon is doing a good job of keeping an eye on things. ;)

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a swamp! You're coming along very well despite the metal issues. Your tank is still 'growing' even though you have had problems. That's great! Keep on doing what your doing, it's working! :D

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
L
Got a little coralline going on also? Pink spots on bottom right of left arch. The dragon is doing a good job of keeping an eye on things. ;)
I wish! The last time I took a. Toothbrush to it, it turned out to be cyano, but I will try it again this weekend and see if it comes off. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t!

And yes, he does a great job! I am obsessed with dragons.. If I could keep one.. well, let’s just say I wouldn’t have a reef tank, hahaha

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall there are no photosynthetic corals? If so you can just turn the lights down low for now and/or shorten the daylength to help control the algae crazies.
I am considering doing just that, actually. I think I am going to wait for the ICP results until I mess with the lighting though. I haven’t touched anything else so far just because I want to get consistent ICP results, not saying the lighting would change anything, but who knows.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a swamp! You're coming along very well despite the metal issues. Your tank is still 'growing' even though you have had problems. That's great! Keep on doing what your doing, it's working! :D
Thank you!!

I suppose the ICP will tell all coming up. Hopefully Amazon goes back to normal shipping times so I can get the ICP before Sunday… this dang storm has really messed with things (as usual).

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I have AMAZING news.

I performed my bi-weekly water change and tank cleanings today, and you will never believe what I found in the swamp……I am still struggling to believe it!!!!

Before picture from a few days ago:

472D8B4D-DEF4-4999-AE45-905990A35979.jpeg

After tooth brushing the rocks and siphoning the sand:

5E2032DC-A793-48AD-AFA9-4E63AD42EF12.jpeg

The Poly-Filter I pulled and replaced today:

4B96C2D5-BE3B-4320-96B3-958E82B255FE.jpeg

And, FINALLY, something positive!!!!

09D07B04-9A5A-4306-AEEC-0A74D4C2FFF5.jpeg
9E331277-D646-4810-A1EB-C1B46EEE753E.jpeg

Guys, it’s coralline! Oh my gosh. I could cry.

I will be mailing out the ICP tomorrow, then fingers crossed for some amazing results next week!

If all comes back clear, I will be ordering the Garf Grunge Plus, a bottle of both pink and purple live coralline from Helix, and a clean up crew from Reef Cleaners. I will also be moving my coral into my display tank, and possibly placing an order with Dr. Reef for some more fish!

Thank you all so much for following along, for all of your advice, and mostly for all of your support!!

I will keep you all updated. I replaced the old Poly-Filter with a new one, so if there is any more metal contamination it should show on this new filter. I will post an update on the color of the filter tomorrow or the next day.

I also re-did some of the scape (the epoxy I used is crumbling for some reason, so I am trying to break it all off the rocks), and moved my power heads to either side of the tank. I have one about 2/3 of the way up the left side on the left and the other on the bottom left of the opposite side. I also turned them up another notch. Hopefully this takes care of my cyano issue.

Fingers crossed for clear results!! Thank you all again!

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the epoxy will remain somewhat pliable when cured and can be prone to breaking up. I prefer to use thick gel Cyanoacrylate. It will harden into basically solid acrylic. If you are using it underwater though I find it helps to scrub the surface of the rock a bit if it's covered in stuff. Then when you put the two pieces together rub them around a little to break the skin that forms on the outside of the gel blob.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the epoxy will remain somewhat pliable when cured and can be prone to breaking up. I prefer to use thick gel Cyanoacrylate. It will harden into basically solid acrylic. If you are using it underwater though I find it helps to scrub the surface of the rock a bit if it's covered in stuff. Then when you put the two pieces together rub them around a little to break the skin that forms on the outside of the gel blob.
Yes!! I had some Ecotech CG that I totally ruined by getting water in the bottle and I love it, I just haven’t ordered more.

By the way, I made the DIY refractometer calibration fluid and it registered exactly 1.025. I suppose that means I am about a point off, so I will have to adjust my tanks accordingly. Thank you so much for that info!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress! Glad to see that things are coming around! Just add things slowly when you start
Thank you!!!

My plan right now is only to add my corals, then a Randall’s Prawn Goby to replace my watchman, RIP, and a Midas Blenny to add some movement to the tank. After that, I have my eye on a pair of Snowflake clowns, but we’ll see! I will be buying the fully quarantined fish from Dr. Reef, so I am sure there will be a waiting period between the fish additions, not to mention all of my corals will continue to go through quarantine before I add them.

My Bullseye pistol actually molted AGAIN! So I am taking that as a good sign that he is growing and healthy!

I am so excited, I honestly can hardly sit still. Even my husband walked by the tank and mentioned how much better it looks. You can’t really tell in the pictures, but things just look better, I guess,

Really, really hoping that all of this happiness isn’t for nothing!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news .
congratulations .
I’m assuming we don’t have to try convincing you not to quit ?
Hahaha, you may still have to if my ICP results don’t come back clear, but as of right now, I am definitely getting back into loving this hobby!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back