Abyzz A200 IPU flow rate

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return plumbing from my sump to my display tank will be 11.75 feet vertical plumbing, 5.4 feet horizontal plumbing, and 10 90 degree fittings. All return plumbing will be 1.5" pipe except the final 5 feet of vertical pipe up to and into the return bulkheads which will be 1" pipe. I want to plumb in a UV sterilizer which requires a minimum 1560 GPH.

My question is at 11.75 feet vertical plumbing, 5.4 feet horizontal plumbing, and 10 90s will an Abyzz A200 be able to manage a flow rate of 1560 GPH?

abyzz-a200-ipu-3-800gph-controllable-dc-pump-by-abyzz.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you mean maybe 1590 litres per hour for the UV, if it’s gallons you probably need something from NASA!

I would suggest it is yes, I’ve got the a200 and also supply a UVC from the same manifold at a rate of around 1400 lph

Check this

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you mean maybe 1590 litres per hour for the UV, if it’s gallons you probably need something from NASA!

I would suggest it is yes, I’ve got the a200 and also supply a UVC from the same manifold at a rate of around 1400 lph

Check this

1640100679782.png

It's definitely 1560 GPH.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the Pentair Aquatics Smart High Output 50 Watt UV Sterilizer.
If it were me I’d run it at around the 260 gph or maybe slightly higher

Ive got an 80w UVC in my large system and it’s run around 370 gph

If you run it at these levels it will deal with both types of bacteria effectively

At 1590 gph water will be blasting through it and personally I can’t see the point in that with a UV. You want maximum killing power

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I’d run it at around the 260 gph or maybe slightly higher

Ive got an 80w UVC in my large system and it’s run around 370 gph

If you run it at these levels it will deal with both types of bacteria effectively

At 1590 gph water will be blasting through it and personally I can’t see the point in that with a UV. You want maximum killing power
This approach goes against everything I have heard about running UV's and against what the manufacturer recommends. A flow rate of 260 GPH is not sufficient to control algae and bacteria. The turnover through the UV is not high enough.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This approach goes against everything I have heard about running UV's and against what the manufacturer recommends. A flow rate of 260 GPH is not sufficient to control algae and bacteria. The turnover through the UV is not high enough.

If the tank (example) is 330g, and you set the UV flow at that level for example, and speaking very simply, it will turn the tank over ever hour or thereabouts. How big is your tank ?

But it will be at maximum kill rate so will kill everything that goes through it effectively. Thats the hole point of a UV to kill everything

They actually quote a flow rate of 260/330 to kill Protozoa bacteria in your post above. This will also kill the algae etc they also show. So by running it 24/7 at the lower flow it kills both This means at lower flow, less wasted power from your a200 and a better result…..

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank (example) is 330g, and you set the UV flow at that level for example, and speaking very simply, it will turn the tank over ever hour or thereabouts. How big is your tank ?

But it will be at maximum kill rate so will kill everything that goes through it effectively. Thats the hole point of a UV to kill everything

They actually quote a flow rate of 260/330 to kill Protozoa bacteria in your post above. This will also kill the algae etc they also show. So by running it 24/7 at the lower flow it kills both This means at lower flow, less wasted power from your a200 and a better result…..

Quite clearly, OPs “point” of the UV is not to kill “everything”, but for algae/clear water. To optimize this you must turn water over as many times as possible an hour while still being around the 1000 gph mark.

UV for Protozoa control is over rated and not useful if you properly QT :)

I run my UV at around 800 gph for clear water :)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are correct.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never read these recommended flow rates that way. The way I read it is that you can flow up to a maximum 1590 GPH and still have effective UV control for bacteria. Lower flow rates will still be effective. I do not believe the UV manufacturers know how many turnovers of a tank you need. Even with 2-3 turnovers of your tank through the UV, I cannot see how it is going to not be effective for bacteria. I ran a 15 W UV on a 180 gallon freshwater tank with maybe 200 gph and it was very effective in keeping the water clear. I doubt that there are many people that actually these high flow rates for large UV's. You probably will not actually get 1590 gph with the Abyzz since you only have a allowance of about 4-5 ft for total friction head and the UV will consume a lot of it, but I think you will be close enough.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back