AC jr questions

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has one?I have been looking at the new Korilla pumps but they don't have a controller yet.Ithought about using the sieo but they will only let you speed up and slow down the flow together.I want to alternate the pumps.So I am thinking about the ACjr.

1. What will it control out of the box without buying all the extra add ons?
2.Can I use my ph probe and solenoid on my controller I have now or do I have to buy the one for the AC?
3.Does it have the plugs for the heater/chiller and lighting?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has one?I have been looking at the new Korilla pumps but they don't have a controller yet.Ithought about using the sieo but they will only let you speed up and slow down the flow together.I want to alternate the pumps.So I am thinking about the ACjr.

1. What will it control out of the box without buying all the extra add ons?
2.Can I use my ph probe and solenoid on my controller I have now or do I have to buy the one for the AC?
3.Does it have the plugs for the heater/chiller and lighting?

i have an AC JR. and LOVE it! although, i'm secretly contemplating upgrading to the next version up so i can monitor and control it from the internet...lol

1) when you purchase it from stock, the only thing you MUST purchase with it is some sort of device to plug in your peripherals....there are 2 ways to do this:
- get one of their power strips, which is either a DC8 or DC4. if i remember correctly, i think the AC JR. can control up to 12 devices (i.e. the max it can handle is a DC8 & DC4....not 2 DC8's..)
- or you can use the X-10 modules, and use your own power strips or plug into the wall. this may seem like the cooler way to do it, but some electronic ballasts and other electronic equipment are known to interfere with the X-10 signals.
*I prefer the direct hard connection, so i got a DC8. (most places give you a package deal when buying the ACJR so you can get a DC8 or DC4 with it)

2) as far as pH probes go, if your connection is the same it should work fine on the AC JR. and i'm pretty sure all PH probes have the same connection, you may want to consult the neptune website for this though just to make sure.

3) all of the outlets are universal, meaning you can plug any type of device into any outlet, as long as you dont go over the max amperage rated for that power strip (i.e. DC4 or DC8). the DC8 they make is a heavey duty version and can handle a higher amperage, but its also more expensive.

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an AC JR. and LOVE it! although, i'm secretly contemplating upgrading to the next version up so i can monitor and control it from the internet...lol

1) when you purchase it from stock, the only thing you MUST purchase with it is some sort of device to plug in your peripherals....there are 2 ways to do this:
- get one of their power strips, which is either a DC8 or DC4. if i remember correctly, i think the AC JR. can control up to 12 devices (i.e. the max it can handle is a DC8 & DC4....not 2 DC8's..)
- or you can use the X-10 modules, and use your own power strips or plug into the wall. this may seem like the cooler way to do it, but some electronic ballasts and other electronic equipment are known to interfere with the X-10 signals.
*I prefer the direct hard connection, so i got a DC8. (most places give you a package deal when buying the ACJR so you can get a DC8 or DC4 with it)

2) as far as pH probes go, if your connection is the same it should work fine on the AC JR. and i'm pretty sure all PH probes have the same connection, you may want to consult the neptune website for this though just to make sure.

3) all of the outlets are universal, meaning you can plug any type of device into any outlet, as long as you dont go over the max amperage rated for that power strip (i.e. DC4 or DC8). the DC8 they make is a heavey duty version and can handle a higher amperage, but its also more expensive.

So are you ready for that upgrade yet:D I might know someone that would take your old one.Hint Hint ME.

So if I plug in lets say my lights to plug 1 on the DC8 I have to program the unit to set my lighting on that plug. I can also add plug 2-4 if need be?I can put whatever I want on the plugs as long as I let the unit know what it is?Is that how it works?

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you ready for that upgrade yet:D I might know someone that would take your old one.Hint Hint ME.

So if I plug in lets say my lights to plug 1 on the DC8 I have to program the unit to set my lighting on that plug. I can also add plug 2-4 if need be?I can put whatever I want on the plugs as long as I let the unit know what it is?Is that how it works?

hehe..its VERY tempting, but i'm looking at it as one of those "luxery purchases" once i've got everything up and running and all i have to do is sit back and watch it. ;) so i'm thinking about giving it at least till next xmas before i seriously decide on sucking it up and getting it...lol

yup, you got it right. the first thing you do before creating a program, is you add "names". when you create a name, you designate it for a certain plug (A1, A2...), and then give it a 3-4 letter name like "LIT1, LIT2, or BLU". Then you add a program that calls for A1 to turn on if time is > than 0800, and turns A1 off if time is >1800. then you can program your heater in the same fashion....but then you can also create a program to turn your lights off if your temp gets > than lets say 83deg. the possibilities are endless really.

so you can use any of the outlets you want, i think i am using 1,2,5,6, and 8 on my DC 8 at the moment. and my heater plug is kinda large, so i moved it over to the #8 outlet so it wouldnt block any of the other outlets below it since its now on the bottom row to the very right.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah, the coding structure is already there, so all you have to do is select the correct phrase like

"if time is > ___, then ____ ON"
"if time is > ___, then ____ OFF"

so all you have to do is fill in the blanks with the time and program name you want like.

for temp control, you are given:

"if temp is > ____, then ____ ON"
"if temp is < ____, then ____ OFF"

you can fill in the blanks for your heater, chiller, fans, lights etc.

there are also functions for turning on and off pumps, down to 1min i think. i havent gotten into that though b/c you cant turn the tunze nanostreams on and off like that or itwill mess them up.

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That brings up one more question on the pump fuction. will it let you speed up and slow down the pumps and alternate each pump so they will come on and slow down at different times.Or do they all go up and down together.I want to use the korilla pumps and I think they will not do well if turned on and off but will be ok if they speed up and slow down the RPM's.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That brings up one more question on the pump fuction. will it let you speed up and slow down the pumps and alternate each pump so they will come on and slow down at different times.Or do they all go up and down together.I want to use the korilla pumps and I think they will not do well if turned on and off but will be ok if they speed up and slow down the RPM's.

i'm pretty sure the AC JR implies a soft start method, but no you cannot control the RPM's of each pump. its either on or off. but you can turn each individual one on and off as you wish down to 1min to create your own random flows. there may also be an option for a "random" flow setting, not sure cuz i havent done it.

just remember, each pump plugs in to its own outlet, and you can program each outlet independently from the other outlets.

but you could put 2 pumps on 1 outlet simply by hooking up an extension cord.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back