Acan help

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this acan look okay to you all it’s the best video I can get with lights off and flash from iPhone but it’s not looked happy to me passed couple days and i haven’t seen his tentacles extended like they was doing, I’m experiencing high nitrates and ammonia which I’m currently trying to reduce, alk is 10dkh and ph is 7.8 on lower side. Just not sure what’s going on with him any help advice is appreciated

B4D9FCBA-8AE1-48B0-BF65-991A97B9121C.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2529.MOV
    24.2 MB
OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best video I can get right now

Attachments

• IMG_2529.MOV
    24.2 MB
  • IMG_2529.MOV
    24.2 MB

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this acan look okay to you all it’s the best video I can get with lights off and flash from iPhone but it’s not looked happy to me passed couple days and i haven’t seen his tentacles extended like they was doing, I’m experiencing high nitrates and ammonia which I’m currently trying to reduce, alk is 10dkh and ph is 7.8 on lower side. Just not sure what’s going on with him any help advice is appreciated

B4D9FCBA-8AE1-48B0-BF65-991A97B9121C.jpeg
Probably doesn't like the out of whack water parameters. What are all your parameters? How old is the tank? What lighting? How long has the coral been in there?

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably doesn't like the out of whack water parameters. What are all your parameters? How old is the tank? What lighting? How long has the coral been in there?
I’ve got my nh3/nh4 down to .08
No3 40ppm
I feel these test aren’t accurate and will reset tomorrow after 24 hours of the system turning over I run an ai prime 16hd and I’ve had him a couple weeks

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I over looked one of your questions my apologies, my tanks roughly 2 months old with me owning it, the rock came out of an established tank and I bought the live sand

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,if NH3 (ammonia) is really showing a reading that no good. You should have no ammonia whatsoever especially after 2 months. Your nitrates are pretty high,realistically they shouldn't be over 20ppm at most. What are your phosphates ?

What is calcium,alk and mag ? Acan's like moderate flow,like to be fed quite heavily. Direct light and bright like will annoy them,so will direct flow.

Being on the sand won't bother them. I have ALWAYS kept my acan's on the the sand and never on the rocks.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,if NH3 (ammonia) is really showing a reading that no good. You should have no ammonia whatsoever especially after 2 months. Your nitrates are pretty high,realistically they shouldn't be over 20ppm at most. What are your phosphates ?

What is calcium,alk and mag ? Acan's like moderate flow,like to be fed quite heavily. Direct light and bright like will annoy them,so will direct flow.

Being on the sand won't bother them. I have ALWAYS kept my acan's on the the sand and never on the rocks.
Dkh 10 calc 440 and phosphates are less than .025 last I checked mag was 1470

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Someone told me the sand irritates there polyps I have another one I put on rock because he started to encrust the disc and grow under it

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean your other parameters don't seem off really,so maybe something else is bothering it.

As for being on the sand,being in the hobby for 13yrs and keeping acan's on the sand every time,I have NEVER had an issue.

Once acan's over grow the plug,in my experience they stop growing because they run out of room to grow out. So gluing a 2"x2" or 3"x3" tile to the bottom of the frag plug will give them more room to grow out.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean your other parameters don't seem off really,so maybe something else is bothering it.

As for being on the sand,being in the hobby for 13yrs and keeping acan's on the sand every time,I have NEVER had an issue.

Once acan's over grow the plug,in my experience they stop growing because they run out of room to grow out. So gluing a 2"x2" or 3"x3" tile to the bottom of the frag plug will give them more room to grow out.
Yeah just my nh3/nh4 and no3 are off for some reason or another, he’s on a 3x3 tile I have it covered in sand tho bc it’s hideous lol

1Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my phosphates used to be little to none. I increased my bioload and got my nitrates around 10 ppm. After that, my acans became much more puffy. However, in your case you should lower your nitrate.

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like it's spitting up sand from the video. Pop it off the plug and place it on your rock work. And what kind of fishes do you have? Something else could be irritating it. It doesn't look bad since it's sending out feeders. Capture a picture of it during the day and we'll be able to judge it better. I wouldn't worry though

Back