Acan vs Favia ID

jkap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's a lot of these threads but this seems to be a very tricky topic. It's easy to buy corals online when everything is identified for you. My LFS is great but sometimes when I ask about a frag, I get the answer: "I'm pretty sure it's......."

I'm 99% sure the red one is an Acan. The dark/white striped one looked like a fluffy acan at the store but he's looked pretty ticked off after transporting him and I'm still waiting for him to fluff back up. My main question is about the green/red one. It was at the back of a frag tank so it was tough to see but the colors made it pop out. They guy at the LFS was "pretty sure" it's a Favia but now that I have it in my tank and can see it up close, I'm thinking it looks more like an Acan with how well defined the heads are and there is a clear line separating the heads. Any help would be appreciated.

0311211141a.jpg 0311211141b.jpg 0311211141.jpg

JBissell1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep agree. Top two are acans, bottom is Favia... if you come across a Favia that doesn’t have distinct walls/ridges between polyps, good chance it’s a favites.

Back