Acans on deaths stairway!!!

Amy Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was given some acans by a friend who's had a major issue with their tank so thrown in the towel on the whole hobby !

As you'll see these are in pretty bad shape I've never experienced this kind of thing before so I'm unsure on the care level needed

Advice/care sheet be awesome
20180302_192649.jpg
20180302_192711.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just maintain proper water parameters. Check your water flow. Make sure you arent over feeding. It should heal.

OP
OP
Amy Yates

Amy Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just maintain proper water parameters. Check your water flow. Make sure you arent over feeding. It should heal.
With them being fragile I've placed them on a rack below the wavemaker thus to avoid as much flow as possible while they are healing???

Then I was going to work them up from the sand bed to where I want them after about 1-2 weeks of leaving them in the rack below wave ?

Best foods? Meaty ones? Just continue with mysis?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I would feed them. Moving them around a lot will only stress them. Low-ish flow is ok but you don't want debris settling. Do you know your water parameters? Alk, Ca, Mag, nitrates, phosphates??

OP
OP
Amy Yates

Amy Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I would feed them. Moving them around a lot will only stress them. Low-ish flow is ok but you don't want debris settling. Do you know your water parameters? Alk, Ca, Mag, nitrates, phosphates??
Will run my tests tonight like I normally would and post results - rests 3 days ago was bang on so I cant imagine anything would have moved up or down that much .... Will post results anyway

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp - 27.8
Temp is high. Should be 24.5-26c
Good.
Ammonia below 0.1
Nitrite 1-2
Bad. Should not have any readings here. This needs to be fixed with ATM colony or some type of bottled bacteria.
Nitrates - below 0.1
We will count this as zero. Which isn't good for any coral.
Phosphates - 0.1
This is fairly high considering the lack of nitrates and increase of ammonia and nitrite. Dosing nitrates will help reduce phosphates.
Alk- 11 dkh
Your alk is at the peak. I see salinity not measured? How is salinity measured? Brand of salt?
Mag - 1360
Cal - 440
These are fine.

Not sure how old the tank is but something is really off. Either water changes are off, mixing salt, husbandry, over feeding, or all of the above.

OP
OP
Amy Yates

Amy Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is high. Should be 24.5-26c

Good.

Bad. Should not have any readings here. This needs to be fixed with ATM colony or some type of bottled bacteria.

We will count this as zero. Which isn't good for any coral.

This is fairly high considering the lack of nitrates and increase of ammonia and nitrite. Dosing nitrates will help reduce phosphates.

Your alk is at the peak. I see salinity not measured? How is salinity measured? Brand of salt?

These are fine.

Not sure how old the tank is but something is really off. Either water changes are off, mixing salt, husbandry, over feeding, or all of the above.
My salinity is 33 I use ro and salt water from my lfs at the moment.

I may have read the readings wrong on one or 2 as my chart doesn't look right with today's entered readings from 3 days ago - can't of shot like that but who knows. A lot of my stuff is lps so it's direct/spot feeds besides the fish food that goes in.

Repost shortly

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back