Acanthastrea vs Cyphastrea

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight I had a 25 head Acanthastrea colony flip upside down onto a Cyphastrea colony.

Woke up this morning to equal damage on both colonies. I think the Acanstrea may have been injured a little more.

I'll try to get photos tomorrow after work. Both lost some flesh, but both should recover fully. It was a sad way to start the day.

Last edited:

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight I had a 25 head Acanstrea colony flip upside down onto a Cyphastrea colony.

Woke up this morning to equal damage on both colonies. I think the Acanstrea may have been injured a little more.

I'll try to get photos tomorrow after work. Both lost some flesh, but both should recover fully. It was a sad way to start the day.

Very unfortunate my friend! I've had that plenty of times. I am always moving so my pieces are never glued. So snails and hermits can be big ol D's!! lol I'm sure both will come back as all of my favias shrooms and polyps have always come back.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i moved the acan away onto a spare frag rack. Its one I got last may and has doubled in size.

This one fell
IMG_5858.JPG

Onto this one
IMG_5857.JPG

Bonus picture lol
IMG_5859.JPG

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk about all of you, but every acan I put in here buds out like mad! Ive learned to buy small frags now. 1-3 heads.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they grow like crazy!! In my experience, they grow like crazy at one point, take some time then shoot off more heads

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at things this morning. I would say the Cyphastrea has stronger MOJO.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea they are strong, I got a new meteor shower and for some reason went completely brown for a week. Since it wasn't white I gave it time and it resurrected lol

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an update here. They entire colony died! Due to the injury any open/dying acan flesh my peppermint shrimp got a taste for it. They hammered on it several nights and caused an infection. So sad :(

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to put your Cyphastrea on an island away from other corals. I think its a beautiful coral, especially at full PE. Its got power to kill other coral and grows very quickly in high light.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to hear about the Acans... dam peopermints! My cyphastrea actually enjoys being on the lower half of the tank. Tried to put him up higher but browned out. Came back nicely, glad I didn't chunk it.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to hear about the Acans... dam peopermints! My cyphastrea actually enjoys being on the lower half of the tank. Tried to put him up higher but browned out. Came back nicely, glad I didn't chunk it.

Thanks, its very sad. I really loved that acan colony. Its my fault, I knew better not to put it where I had. The shrimps are wicked. Never again, im banishing these for good very soon. After this happened. I moved all my lps out into the reefer.

Glad your Cyphastrea came back. They like lower placement, but not shadowed. They will grow in it but doesnt look very nice.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, its very sad. I really loved that acan colony. Its my fault, I knew better not to put it where I had. The shrimps are wicked. Never again, im banishing these for good very soon. After this happened. I moved all my lps out into the reefer.

Glad your Cyphastrea came back. They like lower placement, but not shadowed. They will grow in it but doesnt look very nice.

I agree, I tried to put him under shade to see if he would recover quicker but he just enjoyed the sand bed under direct light. I'm thinkingg of glueing him to my spongebob pineapple. Just gotta cut the shrooms off it.
I am glad I didn't throw him either, he looked like literally poop brown. Just before I grabbed to chuck him, I was like he isn't bleach white, so maybe just bleached from the light and will recover. Phew, still glad I didn't. It is a pretty meteor shower I got at Brew Frag Fest.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I tried to put him under shade to see if he would recover quicker but he just enjoyed the sand bed under direct light. I'm thinkingg of glueing him to my spongebob pineapple. Just gotta cut the shrooms off it.
I am glad I didn't throw him either, he looked like literally poop brown. Just before I grabbed to chuck him, I was like he isn't bleach white, so maybe just bleached from the light and will recover. Phew, still glad I didn't. It is a pretty meteor shower I got at Brew Frag Fest.

SWEET!

billamwelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an update here. They entire colony died! Due to the injury any open/dying acan flesh my peppermint shrimp got a taste for it. They hammered on it several nights and caused an infection. So sad :(
Next time you have an issue with a coral falling onto another you could try iodine dipping them, it prevents infection and helps things come back from the brink.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back