Accidental propagation of plating coral

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
::Let me open up by saying, I'm fully aware of my cyano outbreak. Its an ebb and flow for my relatively new tank as I try to keep nutrients low BUT dosing aminos to help some suffering corals after a recent move. ::

5B6D574E-88BC-453B-979A-6DBDEC566990 (1).jpeg

My wife and I recently moved, she got a new job and I work from home so we found an amazing new house which will allow for some epic builds to come in the not to near future. As part of this process we had to move our beloved 93 cube out of our home and into a temporary location. During the packing, moving, and establishing of the temporary tank some corals did not appreciate the process. One such coral that suffered is the plating coral pictured above. I've had this coral since it was the size of FDR's head on a dime. One of the funnest corals I owned to watch grow into itself. About 95% of the tissue receded and I thought it was a goner. However with dosing amino acids, letting it settle into the new tank, and spot feeding its started to reclaim some tissue.

plate.jpg

My conundrum comes in with what I've notice growing on the dead skeleton. I have some baby plate polyps growing. I can see 3, while one is on the back side of the first photo. I know this is how plates propagate. I've always read if a plate dies to leave it in the tank and several could regrow. Well it looks like that is happening. If I understand their growth the polyps will each grow and compete for space until one wins out.

Would the community suggest to frag off the new polyps and try to grow them out and give each a chance or just allow for some Darwinism and let the fittest survive?

Appreciate your help and advice!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a tough one. If it was mine I would slowly remove the cyanobacteria with a turkey baster. I would do a little at a time over the course of a few days.
Awesome regeneration, hope it eventually does well for you.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let them grow until they are bigger. If you frag them now the will be so small they will get knocked around and lost.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back