Accidentally been feeding expired food to my clownfish?!

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just tonight when I was feeding my clownfish I noticed on back of the fish food packet ( marine s ) it said the due date was feb. 14th 2022… I only recently started feeding this food to her becuase her brine shrimp ran out. Can someone please let me know if it will cause any problems? Only been feeding it for a few days

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, just tonight when I was feeding my clownfish I noticed on back of the fish food packet ( marine s ) it said the due date was feb. 14th 2022… I only recently started feeding this food to her becuase her brine shrimp ran out. Can someone please let me know if it will cause any problems? Only been feeding it for a few days
Which is fine as long as its not powdered or smells off

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Food spoils in one of a few ways, depending on what it is. Some foods become unsafe to eat due to becoming rancid, overgrowth of bacteria, or contamination, and some foods simply lose flavor, texture, and nutrition over time.

Unopened dry cereal, for example, will never become unsafe to eat- only unpleasant and not particularly nutritious. Unopened meats, of course, can and will spoil in a way that makes them dangerous.

Expiration dates are generally based on when the company is confident that the food will still be good. Most foods are still fine to eat after those dates, though you have to use logic (such as: is this a raw ground meat that MUST be cooked soon? Is it visibly moldy or otherwise spoiled?) to figure that out.

Opened dry fish food will go stale and lose nutrition, but as long as it doesn't smell rancid, it should be safe to feed. Definitely get something new as soon as possible, though, and try not to do this again.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a dry food, I'd feed it until it runs out. Frankly never had a problem, my fish are eating this without a issue :eek:

PXL_20221230_014829019.jpg
PXL_20221230_014831560.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back