accidentally breeding yellow tail damsels. . .

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over the last couple nights I have been staying up late trying to catch the hatching. . . It took until about 1:30 this morning, but it finally happened. I had a very successful harvest, thanks mostly to me realizing my Reef Diaper was great at catching larvae.

Here are some pictures of the "nursery", the water in the larvae tank is a bit cloudy cause I just fed. . . the "tanks" on the right are my roti cultures:

IMG_0029.jpeg

IMG_0030.jpeg

IMG_0031.jpeg

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Rotifers don’t work I would try the Apocyclops. The adults will be too big but the nauplii should be the right size. If none of these work you made need to use Parvocalanus copepod nauplii.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If Rotifers don’t work I would try the Apocyclops. The adults will be too big but the nauplii should be the right size. If none of these work you made need to use Parvocalanus copepod nauplii.
Thanks for the info!!! I am sort of banking on the roti at the moment cause I don't have room for more cultures hahaha but if this doesn't work out I may try your suggestions (or if I have more room). I do plan to hatch LBB once they are a bit bigger. . . not sure what day after hatch that should be???

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try mbisite. There are multiple threads on there about Chrysiptera.

It’s too bad the old MOFIB site is gone, as I think Luis from Brazil was able to get these to settlement on “S” strain rotifers.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And they are all dead. . . think I only had larvae for about 3 days. . . but I am going to change my methods a bit and keep trying. Think I will continue with my current rotifer, as the study @ISpeakForTheSeas linked seemed to use only L type roti for the first feeds with decent success. I will try a black bucket or fully blacked out tank. I ill use a more gentle airflow. MAYBE try to put some live rock in the rearing tank. . .

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they are all dead. . . think I only had larvae for about 3 days. . . but I am going to change my methods a bit and keep trying. Think I will continue with my current rotifer, as the study @ISpeakForTheSeas linked seemed to use only L type roti for the first feeds with decent success. I will try a black bucket or fully blacked out tank. I ill use a more gentle airflow. MAYBE try to put some live rock in the rearing tank. . .
Just curious, have you been enriching the rots with Selcon?

Either way, hopefully the changes you're looking to try will help.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, was using RG complete
RG Complete looks like a really solid product, but I’d wonder if it’s providing enough of the right fatty acids (RG complete has 64 mg/g HUFA’s while Selcon - which was used in the study I referenced - has 200 mg/g HUFA’s). I don’t know for sure if it would help at this point, but it may be worth a shot.

That said, copepods would definitely be worth a shot too, as they’re often more nutritious for fish larvae than rotifers (and, based on the odd/unnatural conditions needed to rear these fish in the study I referenced, something in the rearing methodology of this fish needs a major overhaul; personally, I’d guess it’s likely light intensity/spectrum related rather than just diet related though).

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RG Complete looks like a really solid product, but I’d wonder if it’s providing enough of the right fatty acids (RG complete has 64 mg/g HUFA’s while Selcon - which was used in the study I referenced - has 200 mg/g HUFA’s). I don’t know for sure if it would help at this point, but it may be worth a shot.

That said, copepods would definitely be worth a shot too, as they’re often more nutritious for fish larvae than rotifers (and, based on the odd/unnatural conditions needed to rear these fish in the study I referenced, something in the rearing methodology of this fish needs a major overhaul; personally, I’d guess it’s likely light intensity/spectrum related rather than just diet related though).
Yeah, I saw in the study. They had the best survival rate with a 24 hour photo. Still, if I recall, it was only 25%. Any good source of pods that are small enough? Could I buy apex pods to culture?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I saw in the study. They had the best survival rate with a 24 hour photo. Still, if I recall, it was only 25%. Any good source of pods that are small enough? Could I buy apex pods to culture?
Apex pods would probably (but not guaranteeably) be too large for a first food: 1st instar nauplii for Apocyclops panamensis are ~65-70 microns from what I've read, and - based off of the larval info of closely related species - I'd guess (based on gape size and estimated approximate preferred feed size) that these larvae would probably need closer to 40-50 microns at first feeding. At this point, the only pod with small enough nauplii that I'm aware of that is available to hobbyists is Parvocalanus crassirostris.
"most marine fish larvae consume prey that are only 20% of their total gape."**
[unfurl=true]https://www.academia.edu/62986388/S...feeding_in_the_gobiid_fish_Priolepis_nocturna[/URL]
You can find Parvocalanus pods for sale at a couple of the really big name shops (see below); most other shops seem to either source from one of them, only sell to vendors, or have spotty availability.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apex pods would probably (but not guaranteeably) be too large for a first food: 1st instar nauplii for Apocyclops panamensis are ~65-70 microns from what I've read, and - based off of the larval info of closely related species - I'd guess (based on gape size and estimated approximate preferred feed size) that these larvae would probably need closer to 40-50 microns at first feeding. At this point, the only pod with small enough nauplii that I'm aware of that is available to hobbyists is Parvocalanus crassirostris.

You can find Parvocalanus pods for sale at a couple of the really big name shops (see below); most other shops seem to either source from one of them, only sell to vendors, or have spotty availability.
Well looks like they have another clutch (not sure that is the correct term) or eggs, based on appearance I anticipate hatching tonight or tomorrow. I wont be able to culture pods before them, so will have to give Roti another try. @ISpeakForTheSeas you mentioned spectrum earlier, if I set up a controllable light what spectrum are you thinking?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas you mentioned spectrum earlier, if I set up a controllable light what spectrum are you thinking?
I'm not entirely sure to be honest, but - at least for your C. parasema broodstock - something with blue and green lighting.

I need to do some more digging into this area (particularly with regards to the larvae rather than the broodstock), but green (~530nm) and blue (~450nm) light were found to encourage ovarian maturation for both C. parasema and C. cyanea, and red (~630nm) light was found to be even more effective than green and blue for C. cyanea, but less effective for C. parasema. White lighting was - interestingly - found to be ineffective at promoting ovarian maturation in either. Low to moderate intensity lighting was the most effective for C. parasema.*

For the larvae, though, I'd be tempted to play around with blue and green, full spectrum (white), and red heavy lighting settings separately, and then to play around with the intensity for each too. Based on the fact that they needed a 24 hour lighting period for the larvae to reach settlement in the study I linked earlier, I'd guess the larvae may need higher intensity lighting than the broodstock do, but I can't verify that at this point.

*Sources:
Light-emitting diode spectral sensitivity relationship with reproductive parameters and ovarian maturation in yellowtail damselfish, Chrysiptera parasema
The stimulatory effects of long wavelengths of light on the ovarian development in the tropical damselfish, Chrysiptera cyanea

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I tried a blacked out container and blue spectrum lighting. . . and think they all died again.

I also tried adding to the buckets microbiome by shaking my cycled filter media around in it. The hope was maybe add some microscopic food (maybe a dumb idea but had nothing to lose really). This clearly did not increase my survival rate. . . but it has led to me culturing what I assume are tropical mysis shrimp. . . so there's that I guess.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

They also eat phyto or prepared pod food?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 90 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back